The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Make your own fabric headliner?

Make your own fabric headliner?

by CPL » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:38 am
Hi,

Does anyone know of a pattern or have any ideas about making your own fabric headliner (rather than buying something pre-made)..have you used an old headliner/does anyone have one to pass on..... I'm contemplating buying some perforated vinyl and giving it a go!

Chris
CPL

Re: Make your own fabric headliner?

by Marvelwear » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:05 pm
Just add a foot all around and put in five tubed pockets forheadliner bows to fit in and the glue away! Ps its a bugger of job.
Marvelwear
SSVC Member

by split bus kev » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm
Marvelwear wrote: Ps its a bugger of job.
It must be!

A 'professional' upholsterer did mine and still made a complete dog's arse of it. :)
split bus kev
SSVC Member

by DubMinx » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:53 pm
Yup,
3 1/2 meters of cloth from bulkhead to rear Devon cabinets.
54" wide fabric fits exactly, Just make loops for the bows (I have all measurements somewhere I can look out for you), not that difficult as it was a perfect rectangle for the area in my van. I used upholstery clips to secure it down each side of the cargo area. Thought it was going to be a total trauma to fit after my research but I did it on my own in an hour or so. Cost me about £50 with interfacing. Don't look too closely at the seams but that is inexperience for you. Happy with the result for what it cost!
DubMinx

by DubMinx » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:09 pm
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Sorry, this is a raging 'tat look' girls van but the gypsy bow top effect is very cosy!
DubMinx

by readyboy61 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:15 pm
hats off to you,done well. I chickend out and went to bromsgrove autotrim
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:50 pm
Not rocket science made one for my westy funeral trailer out of velvet didnt have any bows so used garden canes not ideal but did the job.

Buzzers
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by OP » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:01 pm
I need a headliner, so tempted to fit my own now 8O
OP
SSVC Member

by split bus kev » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:03 pm
I'd give you a hand with it if you'd like Neale. Fancy replacing mine at some point too.
split bus kev
SSVC Member

by OP » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:27 pm
split bus kev wrote:I'd give you a hand with it if you'd like Neale. Fancy replacing mine at some point too.
Sounds like a plan Kev :) No idea what material to use though :D
OP
SSVC Member

by DubMinx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:30 pm
readyboy61 wrote:hats off to you,done well. I chickend out and went to bromsgrove autotrim
Well I can't take full credit. All the hardwork was done for me. The bus came with an existing fabric headliner made by its second owner. I just took it down, measured up and copied it.
image.jpg
Hope this gives you some idea: Measurements in a notebook somewhere I'll look out at the weekend.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bromsgrove did the rest! Not quite up to upholstery yet!
DubMinx

by CPL » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 pm
Definitely thinking this is do-able now.......
CPL

by PastDown » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:11 am
The only thing with the headlining, it such a large area and if its .... job, you'll notice the mistakes and something you can't get away from and it'll buy you everytime your in the van, well.. it would me.

It really helps if you have a temple like the guy above, top work by the way. It one of those jobs I'd rather save up and get it done by a well known proffessional.
PastDown
SSVC Member

by OP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 pm
PastDown wrote:The only thing with the headlining, it such a large area and if its .... job, you'll notice the mistakes and something you can't get away from and it'll buy you everytime your in the van, well.. it would me.

It really helps if you have a temple like the guy above, top work by the way. It one of those jobs I'd rather save up and get it done by a well known proffessional.
I've seen Kevs headliner fitted by a 'professional' and believe me not all of them know what they're doing. I think the job that DubMinx has done is great and I guess you can even remove it and wash it if needed.

I now have an idea in my head and winter to do the job 8) No rear overhead locker in my but but also no big hinges.
OP
SSVC Member

by CPL » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:44 pm
If anyone is taking off an old perforated headliner I'd be interested in it for sizing and a pattern.....
CPL