The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Blasting or Dipping

Blasting or Dipping

by Splitty224 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 pm
Pro's and cons please, i know plenty have been blasted but what's best to blast with? Or is dipping the way to go to get in all the hard to reach areas.

Any advice is much appreciated
Splitty224
SSVC Member

Re: Blasting or Dipping

by splitty_ash » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:36 pm
some blasting can warp panels if done wrong, dipping is great as gets everything off but costly! i had mine blasted by a t*t with no skills as even the floor got warp'd, just make sure they no what there doing
splitty_ash
SSVC Member

by westwopa » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm
Had mine soda blasted, quality job no warping, not sure if you can get a bus dipped anymore???

Paul
westwopa

by Splitty224 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 pm
Thanks for the replies, I have heard about warping panels but a warped floor is another thing!
I think there's a place in Birmingham that dips but that's all I know, I did read somewhere once a while ago about the acid not being cleaned off of something and that causes problems for years!

Think more research is needed :?
Splitty224
SSVC Member

by Griff55 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 pm
There is a very helpful company in tamworth that dips. I rang two companies and he was so helpfull. Just Gota find the ££ to get it done now!!
Couldn't find anywhere that would dip primer it after tho. Nobody had a big enough tank.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Griff55

by DrumBreaker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:48 pm
Had some panels soda blasted recently, and they have come out perfectly. Depends on how much rot you have to shift, but soda is perfect for just gently removing paint layers.
DrumBreaker
SSVC Member

by BlastingDiePast » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:32 am
Blasting is good enough for most vehicles, and if done right won't cause you any problems.

I have blasted everything from a fibreglass lotus shell to a barndoor samba and nothing has been damaged.

How big of a project do you have ?
BlastingDiePast
SSVC Member

by Splitty224 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:16 am
The projects on here under 1965 split complete restoration. Iv stripped all the interior out now and started collecting parts but still need to remove the engine so not quite ready yet but like to be organised to keep things moving
Splitty224
SSVC Member

by BlastingDiePast » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:22 am
Yup I remember looks like a nice bus.

Call up a few local blasters and see if they have a chassis turner first and then see if they have done a bus before, if they don't have either then call me :lol:

Ask what media they will use etc you want to stay away from anyone that uses glass, its cheap and very rough it'll warp most panels on a classic.
BlastingDiePast
SSVC Member