The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

East Coast Classics in South Africa

East Coast Classics in South Africa

by gypsy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am
Has anyone had dealings with these guys ? I am buying a van from them, and having them do some work on it before shipping. I was wondering if any of the members who are on here have had any experience. They have some tidy vans sourced from Namibia, Zimbabwe and of course South Africa to sell.
They seem quite good to deal with, but there is always an huge chunk of trust in these overseas deals.
Thanks in advance for any information.

Here is their link !

http://www.eastcoastclassics.co.za/
gypsy

Re: East Coast Classics in South Africa

by Reggie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:31 pm
Dont know them but i like the So23 rhd and Salesflap hitop
Reggie
SSVC Member

by gypsy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:20 am
It seems that there are a few of us getting various busses from these guys. This should give a very clear impression of how this company works.
So far the consistent feature is that the pictures provided of the vans, which is our only way of checking what we are buying, are not detailed enough or they are of different vans from the ones where the deposit was paid. This has been explained away by just being very very busy, and there is confusion as to what van belongs to what customer while it is in the red-primer stage of the refit.
I will keep this going to see how this all pans out !.
gypsy

by caveman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:38 am
Good luck youte braver than i.
caveman
SSVC Member

by vwsplitbus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 pm
Less than 5k for the sales flap hightop 8)

Your right though just not enough pics. Does not look like its rolling.

You want to get the chassis no. m plate details of the bus you are buying. Maybe fly out there and check it out.

Very risky getting it restored especially if u have not seen the quality of work 1st hand.

Good luck!
vwsplitbus
SSVC Committee Member

by RockStock » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:49 pm
Buyers need to tread really carefully when buying blind.

Don't rush in.
Do your homework first.
Know the model.
Insist on detailed pictures.
Ask the opinion of informed people, both on the car and on the business/individual.
Look for seller feedback.

The rhd salesflap highroof is a classic. On the face of it looks a decent buy. But...look again. No glass. Skeleton steering wheel. No rubber components. Bubbled paint. Warped panels (everywhere). Weird bare metal areas/shapes. Its been on fire.

'Partially paint stripped ready for painting'.

Why would you commission a business far away to do work on a car, without having seen/reviewed/asked about the quality of their work?

You have to tread so, so carefully.

Let us know how you get on, good or bad.

Feels uncomfortable composing a serious SSVC post
RockStock

by RockStock » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:57 pm
RockStock wrote:Don't rush in.
Do your homework first.
Know the model.
Insist on detailed pictures.
Ask the opinion of informed people, both on the car and on the business/individual.
Look for seller feedback.

'Yeah RickStick and how many of these did you do when buying your bd dlx from Canada?'

'Um...'
RockStock

by the bus driver » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm
RockStock wrote:The rhd salesflap highroof is a classic. On the face of it looks a decent buy. But...look again. No glass. Skeleton steering wheel. No rubber components. Bubbled paint. Warped panels (everywhere). Weird bare metal areas/shapes. Its been on fire.

'Partially paint stripped ready for painting'.

I don't think it's been on fire.. the rear decklid has still loads of paint on it.. I think it's been blasted with an industrial machine not knowing how to do it.. The RHD from Chris here in the UK looks exactly the same and that one has been blasted badly and warped all the panels.

I think it's a fair price if it was an original Salesflap but the flap itself is definitely not original and my guess is that it is a RHD Highroof with a homebrew flap..
Having said that, the price is a little high if you include shipping to the UK for a standard RHD..
the bus driver
SSVC Member

by last redstar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:57 pm
i think buying blind is ok when its not to expensive but i know if i buy another split from the states ill go and look ,if its not some one i know , ive bought a so42 to replace my one that was stolen and i was so ...... when i had payed good monies for a bus that is ok for a 10k bus but i dint pay 10k and the guy just lied about the condition, but i have bought vans from the states for years but i suppose i had to get caught some time as for south Africa its the same as Brazil they are 3rd world places .
last redstar

by 67ben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 pm
gypsy wrote:Has anyone had dealings with these guys ? I am buying a van from them, and having them do some work on it before shipping. I was wondering if any of the members who are on here have had any experience. They have some tidy vans sourced from Namibia, Zimbabwe and of course South Africa to sell.
They seem quite good to deal with, but there is always an huge chunk of trust in these overseas deals.

Here is their link !

http://www.eastcoastclassics.co.za/

I have mailed them in the past and allways got a quick response they seam to know buses okay ish there prices include paperwork and delivery to the docks.
67ben
SSVC Member

by andy f » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:53 am
Hmmmm some nice 61's on there. I used to use this forum a bit, as my bus came from SA.
You could always ask on here.

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za
andy f
SSVC Member

by JonnyCJ » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:13 pm
last redstar wrote: as for south Africa its the same as Brazil they are 3rd world places .

Beg to differ ! Ever been to either country ? :roll:

Whilst both have issues with crime and poverty (doesn't the US/UK/Greece etc as well) they're both classed as emerging economies and not only have sophisticated monetary systems, but are also both major producers of resources that the rest of the world rely on.

South Africa in particular can kick world ass in the majority of major sports and where they lack I believe Brazil's footie team isn't bad.
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by last redstar » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:23 pm
I know what you are saying but these buses are 40 + years old and they were even more abused than the normal vans in euroup
last redstar

by Go Easy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:50 am
last redstar wrote:I know what you are saying but these buses are 40 + years old and they were even more abused than the normal vans in euroup

What makes you say that? ZA is not a 3rd world country and for the most part it has a climate that ensures metal does not corrode like it does over here
Go Easy

by the bus driver » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:51 am
South Africa is indeed well developed but I think it's fair to say some of the countries north are not..
A lot of people generalise this which is .. unfair..

But maybe instead of going off topic about what or who SA is we can go back to ..

gypsy wrote:Has anyone had dealings with these guys ? I am buying a van from them, and having them do some work on it before shipping. I was wondering if any of the members who are on here have had any experience. They have some tidy vans sourced from Namibia, Zimbabwe and of course South Africa to sell.

I'm afraid I don't have contact that side of the country otherwise I would've helped you out..
the bus driver
SSVC Member