The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

show pictures in vw mags

show pictures in vw mags

by e m p i » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 am
This isn't a moan and deffo not a dig at any one mag in particular.
I've noticed that when I buy vw mags (I subscribe to 3 and occasionally buy another) and look at the show reports the accompanying pictures always seem to be of the same buses or of buses that have had multiple features in all the mags. I'm not taking anything away from these buses but we've all seen them before and know what they look like. It would be nice to see some different ones in the small pics that are in with the text. As an example, I've just opened a mag at a show report and I've seen 4 pictures of the same buses in other different show features or mag features before. Flick through to a feature not about a show and again the accompanying picture shows more well known buses.
Is it just me ? Am I reading too many mags and they all start to get a bit "samey". Dunno, what do other people think?

Shalom, Lee.
e m p i

Re: show pictures in vw mags

by OP » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:23 am
I agree mate, I've noticed especially this year that you get the same buses in the 'show and shine' if you can still call it that at ALL the shows so maybe that's why. As for the VW mags, I haven't bought any of them for years because it got to a point all you saw were red and brown 23 windows on the cover, lol. Then inside nothing but adverts.

OP (Grumpy old mans club)
OP
SSVC Member

by maddison » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:38 am
e m p i wrote: Am I reading too many mags and they all start to get a bit "samey". Dunno, what do other people think?

yep
maddison
SSVC Member

by phil davies » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 am
Completely agree :roll: There are so many different buses about but always seem to be the same ones :roll:
phil davies
SSVC Member

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:20 pm
Especially red/white and green/white buses :roll:
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member

by Hongkongphooey » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:53 pm
I used to subscribe to most of the magazines, Just get Volksworld now but may give up on that too as like you said same old stuff, which is nice in its own right, but just once I would love loads of shots of the Carpark at the volksworld Show or Dubfreeze, or just out round the campsite at any of the shows at the Pod.

I guess the shows pay to advertise in the Magazines so they probably want them shown in their best light, guess we will need to stop parking in the carparks and enter anything & everything in the 'show & shine'

I have taken my van to a load of shows and I am sure it is invisible, Stonor this year made me laugh as there were photos of the vans parked either side of mine and just the tiniest snip of rear bumper of my van in one shot... Almost famous :lol:
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member

by DubMinx » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:34 pm
I'm fairly new to thie splitty scene and even an amateur like me is seeing this phenomena. Even so far as I'm taking a 'well what's special about that' attitude to some feature buses. Ha

I Think it becomes addictive to see 'yourself' like getting lots of likes in FB or replies to a thread I suppose...

Could it be I'm jealous of the scene whores? Possibly as Mabel is strictly average, slightly a bit not perfect, not rat look or samba shiny, a bit twee and mainly attractive to grandmas and under 12's.
Perhaps I'll try to get her into 'Take a break' or 'Women's Own'
:roll:
DubMinx

by NUGGET » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:49 pm
Yep again :roll:
Needs Maddison on the case, he took some great pics at camper jam, our camping set up in the ssvc mag (camper jam write up)
Nice one Maddison :wink: :wink:
NUGGET

by split999 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:31 pm
Three mags, all VW, and sometimes a forth?

Why?

With all the websites and forums around, you're deffo subscribing to tooooo many. Three too many!

Ok, you can keep one.
:)
split999
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:12 am
split999 wrote:Three mags, all VW, and sometimes a forth?

Why?

With all the websites and forums around, you're deffo subscribing to tooooo many. Three too many!

Ok, you can keep one.
:)
Yeah I know man. I subscribe to camper and commercial because I've always done so from issue one and have them all in binders and I don't want to break up the set, then I subscribe to volksworld camper and bus because I can't resist a freebie hoody (can't remember the last time I actually paid for a hoody), then I subscribe to Hayburner because it's a proper grass roots mag which I think you've gotta support because it's a bunch of blokes without the corporate b******t plus I like the features they do on the crazy bikes, then I occasionally buy a volksworld or maybe every once in a while an ultra vw if there's a bug in it that I like. Drives my wife mad because theres always vw mags lying about everywhere :roll:
I keep meaning to do an index on all the how to features as they're handy and I've got a couple of hundred volksworld mags all in binders from about 1991 onwards in the shed as well.
I still flick through them occasionally laughing to myself at what we drove back in the day 8O and that's without the "rad shorts" competition....

Shalom, Lee.
e m p i

by BJ1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:37 am
If you all want more interesting articles and photos then get out there and do it! If you hear about an interesting story then tell a mag editor or write it up yourself.

I know that editors have real problems with content - not enough stuff submitted on history of VWs, technical articles, road trips etc. That's why you get lots of 'show and shine' features with the same old buses lined up. IMO Camper and Commercial is by far the most interesting mag (after SSS of course) possibly because the editor is good at nagging people to produce interesting stuff :wink:
BJ1
SSVC Member