The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

connecting heat exchangers

connecting heat exchangers

by paulm20000 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:48 pm
Hi guys
Got my engine out of my 67 at the moment so thought id look at the heat exchangers as they are on constantly and the knob in the van makes no difference. If im looking at the right thing there appears to be a wire coming out either side of the gearbox that I guess is for the heat exchangers. Is this right? There are levers on the exchangers and these are operational and open/close flaps. How do I connect the 2 together as ive seen lots of things out there but dont know if they are the right thing. Also ive removed the knob under seats before and it is not connected to cable so how do I do that as I cant find anything out there for that? Will post some pics below
Cheers
Paul
paulm20000
SSVC Member

Re: connecting heat exchangers

by Bren Ralls » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:17 pm
You are missing a few bits and hopefully 75mm ish further down from lever shown in your pic should be a pivot pin attached to side of heat exchanger. it should look like mine below. links are for extra levers you need.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Lev ... tartPage=1

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Lev ... tartPage=1

In cab front were adjuster knob is, it should look like this. thr cable loops over pin so when you turn knob it either extends or retrcts the wire.

http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-s ... -67_10969/
Bren Ralls
SSVC Member

by markp » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:08 pm
Bren

Ya da man ..... Perfects !

Great heads up

Mark
markp
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:35 pm
Yes those wires connect to the heat exchanger levers. The heater knob essentially screws the wires in and out to pull the levers. Sounds like your cable is broken at the knob end... Its v common... If you unscrew your knurled nut in the cab and dig around in the grease at the bottom of the tube youll probably find the broken ends.... You are going to have to pull the broken wires out and fit a new one.... Then fit new HE levers, clamps and springs, they are all pretty cheap... The hardedst things i found was fitting the spring clips that hold the levers onto the pivot pins, and gettings the new heater wire in without it twisting up and breaking again.

I went through all this early in the summer.... See this thread about the knob and cables....
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98434

Good luck :bounce:
ted698
SSVC Member