The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Fitting Hazard lights to my Split Screen

Fitting Hazard lights to my Split Screen

by Arthur » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:49 pm
I want to fit hazard lights to my Camper.

I'd like to use one of these switches any idea where I could get one and what else I would need and how I would do it?

Thanks

Arthur

Arthur
SSVC Member

Re: Fitting Hazard lights to my Split Screen

by skipps » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:32 pm
hi like Arthur I also would like to know what's needed and how to make them work as I already have the switch cheers all

skipps (Dave)
skipps
SSVC Member

by Slippers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:17 am
I have a wiring diagram for this but don't know how to attach it so that you can see it. I will find a way.
Slippers

by Slippers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:22 am
Type this into Google and it will give you all the info you need -VW 9 Prong Box Troubleshooting and Replacement,(click on the second item down)
Slippers

by 8 8US » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:26 am
Slippers wrote:Type this into Google and it will give you all the info you need -VW 9 Prong Box Troubleshooting and Replacement,(click on the second item down)
http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html

This one?
8 8US
SSVC Member

by Slippers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:28 am
That's the one :)
Slippers

by Peter Good » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:42 am
The '9 prong' relay was intended for USA models requiring both hazard lights and the combined rear indicator and brake lights using a single filament in the rear bulb. Basically, I would suggest the use of the 9 prong relay is significantly more complicated and expensive than is required just to achieve hazard lights. All that is needed is a hazard relay with switch, or can use an external switch as in the photo and a warning lamp if the switch doesn't have one in built. For most models it can be done with a total of 3 connections and to the existing wiring loom and an earth and certainly under £20. Email me with your year model for details peter@ volksgoods. co. uk without the spaces
Peter Good
Peter Good

by ted698 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 am
Peter - Email incoming :wink:

Its always been a worry that my Van doesn't have hazards... I looked at the 9 prong info, and came to the same conclusion that it seems overly complicated for a UK van.

Any advice, or if you could put together a kit I would be very interested. :cheers:
ted698
SSVC Member

by readyboy61 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:03 pm
I'm with Ted698 , go on do a kit
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by OXON TED » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:10 pm
A kit would be good! :D
OXON TED
SSVC Member

by tallandrew » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:00 pm
i spent ages researching this

the factory instructions 4 fitting a 9 pin box are on samba archives, wolfsberg west do them new and karmann connection import them

or

hella and bosch do 6/12v accessory switches including the relays.

or

alternatively a 4 prong flasher relay, a light relay, a repro wiper switch and some wiring and you can achieve what i did. all parts except the switch can be bought in 6 or 12v from vehicle electrics . co .uk in derby.

look on page 4

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32658&start=45

the switch you pictured looks illuminated not sure what its out of, if you like mine its original bus or ghia from 62 onwards, bought mine on here but they can be found on ebay or samba, on my grey bus i used a repro wiper switch which is the same back and a factory style knob, i guess i'll paint it red or put a stick on graphic one day....... if 3d printers get cheap enough maybe i'll make one. lets see need a new garage first, fed up working in a prefab single.
tallandrew