The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Spark plugs ?

Spark plugs ?

by joannedoyle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 pm
I'm changing the plugs in our bus.

The old ones are bosch WBAC (RO 491)
I've read that NGK are better so ordered the NGK B5HS( after reading several threads on the net)

The old plugs have a thin screw thread top but the NGK have a larger none thread top?
I was under the impression that the larger top would unscrew to expose the thread to but they don't ?

Are these the wrong plugs for our bus?
If so any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance
Simon :oops:
joannedoyle
SSVC Member

Re: Spark plugs ?

by readyboy61 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:45 pm
A plug is a plug, you won't even notice a difference,never had a bosch fail me
http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xPr ... &xSec=3250
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by ShrediKnight » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm
I just fitted the NGK's to my van. You just unscrew the larger top off of the plug which will reveal the thinner top, but I did have to put a pair of pliers on them to unscrew. Not too much pressure but a bit more than your fingers (well mine!) can manage.

Cheers,

Mark
ShrediKnight
SSVC Member

by joannedoyle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 am
ShrediKnight wrote:I just fitted the NGK's to my van. You just unscrew the larger top off of the plug which will reveal the thinner top, but I did have to put a pair of pliers on them to unscrew. Not too much pressure but a bit more than your fingers (well mine!) can manage.

Cheers,

Mark
They look like they should un screw but I put a pair of grips on one and it didn't budge?
I'll try again later.
Cheers
Simon
joannedoyle
SSVC Member

by joannedoyle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 am
Sorted it. Got the plug socket and grips on the job :P
Cheers
Simon
joannedoyle
SSVC Member

by Choc » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 pm
readyboy61 wrote:A plug is a plug, you won't even notice a difference,never had a bosch fail me
No it isn't and yes you will. :D
Choc
SSVC Member

by beetleseb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm
Are the ngk's that much better than Bosch? Have just ordered 4 of the Bosch w8ac but will look at the ngk's next time. I mainly went for Bosch on the strength of the Bosch brand.

Seb
beetleseb

by joannedoyle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 pm
I'm running a stock 1600tp and don't expect to see any enhancement from the plugs. I just went for the NGK as recommended on lots of google search results.
Apparently a lot of manufactures are using NGK as there OEM choice and I think they are made in japan. The bosch plugs in our bus say made in China on them ?
Simon
joannedoyle
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:10 pm
joannedoyle wrote:The bosch plugs in our bus say made in China on them ?
That alone would be enough to put me off.

Shalom, Lee.
e m p i

by readyboy61 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 pm
Choc wrote:
readyboy61 wrote:A plug is a plug, you won't even notice a difference,never had a bosch fail me
No it isn't and yes you will. :D
Ok apart from temp ratings then. I bet on a blind test no one can tell the difference between the two! a rolling road would show no difference as well, I have a friend who is a serious racer in the caterham cup and he did just that no difference at all and nothing he could feel on the track either
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by beetleseb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:11 am
I'm always surprised what does and doesn't make a difference.

My Bosch w8ac arrived yesterday and are made in India. Better than china I guess.

I had some bad fag bearings when I went to rebuild my red boxes (another oe supplier) and they where made in Taiwan. I had deliberately asked for fag as they where the original supplier to vw (and made in Germany back then) Luckily they where obviously faulty so swapped before fitting but I always try to get German, Japanese or British bearings if poss now.
beetleseb

by readyboy61 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:14 pm
beetleseb wrote:I'm always surprised what does and doesn't make a difference.

My Bosch w8ac arrived yesterday and are made in India. Better than china I guess.

I had some bad fag bearings when I went to rebuild my red boxes (another oe supplier) and they where made in Taiwan. I had deliberately asked for fag as they where the original supplier to vw (and made in Germany back then) Luckily they where obviously faulty so swapped before fitting but I always try to get German, Japanese or British bearings if poss now.
There are often qaulity issues with parts but dont always be put off because it says made in China on it, i work as a design engineer and we manufacture here and in China. Its often hard to convey what is expected but when china get it right its just as good as made here in the UK , China have some very advanced machines and factorys these days, not all is bad.

If Bosch have there qaulity control in place then it does not matter where its made, we have a procduct that was made here but now in China for Labour costs, it uses exactly the same machines and materail to make it just now has a label on it saying made in china instead of the UK. No difference in it at all.
readyboy61
SSVC Member