The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

1776 Remote oil cooler/filter + clutch Q

1776 Remote oil cooler/filter + clutch Q

by Rippers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 pm
My LP 1776 as per my dining room :lol: ignore the old toothbrush

When I picked it up Laurie said I should fit a Remote Cooler (13 row IIRC) and filter and provisions had been made

What exactly do I need and where do you fit them? Laurie seemed to think the lot can be fitted inside the engine compartment, does anyone use this setup have any pics?

Also whilst I have your attention would a standard 200mm clutch like this will be fine http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=612&xSec=355

Rippers
SSVC Member

Re: 1776 Remote oil cooler/filter + clutch Q

by Rippers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:06 pm
I tend to steer clear of anything Empi now but are the oil cooler kits any good? http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Oil ... 052668.htm

Rippers
SSVC Member

by ally5443 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:53 pm

snap.. got mine built by Laurie too.

Think the cooler and remote filter plate ok but hoses aren't great, If I were you I would fit a oil pump pressure relief plate as the engines have been known to blow the oil filter or even blow cooler with pressure at start up ....ask me how I know :x:

I had to take bottom pulley off to fit this.

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=231

you'll also need this to blank plate off as your case has been tapped
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271396416161? ... 1439.l2648 put it on with locktite.
this is the cooler I fitted and after the pressure issues got sorted all working good. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380834760890? ... 1439.l2648
Hope this helps.
ally5443
SSVC Member

by Rippers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 pm
Cool thanks for info, I was reading to use a Fram filter that's rated to 500psi to save blowing it. Do you have any pics of where you mounted the cooler and oil filter?

That cooler in the ebay link was the one he was describing I just couldn't find it!
Rippers
SSVC Member

by ally5443 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Here you go, laurie got this one,
Don't have a pic of cooler and bus is at auto electricians getting some gremlins sorted but will take a pic on Friday. Mounted it between chassis rails at near side just in line with cargo door.

I also carry a female to female connector in case cooler gets damaged I can take it out the loop.
ally5443
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:41 pm
IMHO having the cooler inside the engine bay is a bad idea. You're expelling heat, (from the oil), into the engine bay, which then is blown over the barrels / heads. Even a margin heat rise inside the engine bay is going to have some sort of effect on the cooling of the engine.

And having the oil filters in the engine bays, generally, means they're mounted high up so oil drains back to the case so oil pressure takes longer to build up on startup. Plus they can get in the way when doing your general servicing / oil spill when doing a filter change = very messy engine bay.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Marvelwear » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 pm
Im with Jim on this, but ignored as it was prudent at the time and gets the 1776 in and out very quickly. I have had a weird oil filter set up on my 1500sp and it did very little, but this set up works well and is not giving any issues, got the kit as per previous post, but from there ebay shop for £40. Only real issue is oil warming up so about to fit oil stat from mocal to warm up a bit quicker. Image exscuse the install pic.
Marvelwear
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:37 pm
I have the same set up from Laurrie as Rippers. Don't fit it all in the engine bay as you will, as Jim said, heat up the air in the engine bay. Mine has the pipes going into a mocal swirl pot with an autometer temp sender in the top and then into the rear quarter and through the bit where the battery would sit if it wasn't on the other side then into a filter housing bolted so the filter sits horizontally. it used to hang down but I smacked it on a kerb and left a slick, luckily mrs empi noticed it and shouted and waved her arms about a lot until I shut the engine off before I did any damage. The pipes are then attached to the inner arch by P clips and go over the wheel and under the bus to a mocal thermostat and then from there into a 13 row mocal cooler. the thermostat stops the oil going through the cooler until it hits 180 degrees.
If you call think automotive they should have it all in stock and can supply the correct thread in the top of the swirl pot. Don't bother with the el-cheapo Chinese cooler its false economy, buy a decent one from mocal/think automotive.
If you need any pics let me know.

Shalom, Lee.
e m p i

by BusBug&KG » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:42 pm
Fitted my cooler,up in the chassis rail,just to the l/h/s of engine as you look from the back,fram filter fitted up under left hand battery tray(looking from the back of engine)
Very important to get the best clips possible,I used stainless,and stainless braided pipe.
Tony C
BusBug&KG
SSVC Member

by ally5443 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:54 pm
Oh well, that's me told again, :D

rippers up to you what way you go, all said and done I haven't had any issues bar too much oil pressure on start up before I fitted the pressure relief cover.
ally5443
SSVC Member

by caveman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:32 pm
great thread im looking at doing the same at the mo for my 1776 I have a mocal 13 row and a vw speedshop pressure relief oil pump cover my case has been tapped I just need errr
the rest! lol
caveman
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:36 pm
BusBug&KG wrote:Fitted my cooler,up in the chassis rail,just to the l/h/s of engine as you look from the back,fram filter fitted up under left hand battery tray(looking from the back of engine)
Very important to get the best clips possible,I used stainless,and stainless braided pipe.
Tony C
Tony,
Have you used push on stainless braided hose with jubilee clips? Was it a problem getting the clips tight enough without stripping them and how is the end of the braided bit finished so it doesn't all fray if that makes sense. I used some braided push on that I cut to length and jubilee clipped for my breather but I was a bit hesitant to use it on the oil lines in case I couldn't get it to seal just using jubilee clips.

Shalom, Lee.
e m p i

by e m p i » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:42 pm
Matt,
If you look on the think automotive site they sell everything you'll need and they're really helpful. The thermostat you want is the OT/1style
http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_li ... ts_30.html
You just fit in between the filter and the cooler. Mine is about 6" in front of the cooler and the hoses takes the weight of it. If I get home before its dark tomorrow I will get them pictures of it all and email them over.

Shalom, Lee.
e m p i

by caveman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:57 am
Cheers lee its all becoming clearer now lol
caveman
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:55 am
I've just removed an inline oil wax-stat in favour of a sandwich plate version.

He'll probably be selling it if interested.

Just a note on wax-stats. They close at around 180f not open.
ie oil can go where it likes until then, at that point it can only flow through the cooler. When cold, the oil can take the easy route back to the engine missing the cooler.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member