The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

What shocks !!!

What shocks !!!

by Lee lindley » Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 am
I've got a t2d 2 inch narrowed beam on dropped spindles it did have slam shocks on from t2d but the tide was not the best do I changed to lime bug deoetch shocks but it's still very now thinking Gaz adjustable shocks , has anyone got any other ideas I don't want to spend a fortune :/

Lee
Lee lindley

Re: What shocks !!!

by Gingerporsche » Sun May 11, 2014 2:55 pm
How much ya want for ya t2d shocks dude?
Cheers wilf
Gingerporsche

by maddison » Sun May 11, 2014 3:03 pm
generally, without putting something on (coilovers or air dampers) to compensate for your narrowed torsion leaves (your actual suspension rate)
all narrowed beams drive pretty crap and choppy

narrowing your torsion springs is basically like cutting your coils on a standard car, shorter they go the crapper it gets
coilovers or air dampers to assist in the job can make then drive nice, but no damper in the world is gonna compensate for your lesser torsion in your leaves...soz

i'm sure loads of people will disagree, but thems the facts :-)
maddison
SSVC Member

by Lee lindley » Sun May 11, 2014 3:47 pm
Thanks.
but I already know that .
Lee lindley

by Alex VW Heritage » Tue May 13, 2014 12:48 pm
This is the ONLY thing to do to get the correct shocks,

Take off your current shocks put the van back on its wheels with all its interior, engine, and all weight back in.

Give it a push forward and back to settle the suspension.

Climb under and measure between the centre of the top and bottom shock mounting bolt.

This gives you a centre measurement you want to try and get in the centre of the travel of a shock.

Each van is slightly different even using ther same components so always wise to do the above steps and ensure your getting something fit for the task you asking from it.
Alex VW Heritage

by quillansmith » Wed May 14, 2014 12:58 pm
Agree with the recommendation from Alex

My narrowed splitty is running Spax , nice ride on #7 setting. Most of the problems i had were the crap slam tyres. Loads better with good tyres. Q :wink:
quillansmith

by Lee lindley » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:52 pm
What type of spax should I use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee lindley

by tufty65 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:05 pm
Measure like Alex said then match up a set of spax you can't just buy a set blind hoping they will fit because someone else has them.
I would use protech shocks instead of spax, much better build quality and look good too.
tufty65

by flatbeat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:01 pm
Go onto the Creative Engineering web site and there's a chart showing all the different lengths of Spax available. Or take the lazy way out...measure up, and phone them and they'll tell you what you need.
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by tufty65 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:25 pm
flatbeat wrote:Go onto the Creative Engineering web site and there's a chart showing all the different lengths of Spax available. Or take the lazy way out...measure up, and phone them and they'll tell you what you need.
You mean they will actually know what you're going on about? I phoned an order through last week for some bits and the person on the phone had no clue to what part I was asking to buy! Good luck with getting any communication about shocks through to them and good luck with them actually bothering to process your order.
I'd go outside the vw scene and source some, much cheaper most of the time.
tufty65

by flatbeat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:27 pm
Well I must be one of the chosen ones, eg1 I ordered some shocks ( I've told this story already) 2 yrs ago and by the time I got to fitting them I'd decided to change the ride height so contacted CE said what I needed and I was holding up my mates ramp and the new shocks arrived THE NEXT DAY. They even offered to take the old ones back and give me a full refund.

eg2. Bought a '57 that had some CE safaris fitted years before. One broke 2 days before Vworld photo shoot. Contacted them said the problem THEY had them collected and RETURNED THE FOLLOWING DAY......free of any charges.

Very few companies around that I can think of that offer that kind of service.
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by tufty65 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:34 pm
It's most other companies that offer that service with me and I'm not alone.
Maybe they just don't like me!
tufty65

by flatbeat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:39 pm
Nah, not personal :lol: just the luck of the draw....we all have good and bad experiences with suppliers :D
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by JonnyCJ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:35 pm
flatbeat wrote:Well I must be one of the chosen ones, eg1 I ordered some shocks ( I've told this story already) 2 yrs ago and by the time I got to fitting them I'd decided to change the ride height so contacted CE said what I needed and I was holding up my mates ramp and the new shocks arrived THE NEXT DAY. They even offered to take the old ones back and give me a full refund.

eg2. Bought a '57 that had some CE safaris fitted years before. One broke 2 days before Vworld photo shoot. Contacted them said the problem THEY had them collected and RETURNED THE FOLLOWING DAY......free of any charges.

Very few companies around that I can think of that offer that kind of service.
Yep - that's the kind of service I get from Creative. Ordered an obscure part off them and then realised 9 months later that it wasn't going to work with my set up.

They took it back and gave me a full credit, although it hadn't been used.
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by Karl_F » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:29 am
I had some Gaz shocks made, rears with spherical bearings for better alignment.

Karl_F
SSVC Member