The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

shocks?

shocks?

by matilda67 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:30 pm
:?:
Hey guys,
just finished my bus....really happy
one small hitch is the front tyres are bumping my arches ( sounds worse than it is! )....
Should I need to go to coil overs OR is it simpler?
I'm on drop spindles, stock beam, csp discs and OG fuch's....i like the height as it is....don't mind popping up another inch ( :wink: )
Have other people tackled this in different ways with different outcomes.....don't fancy pondering for too long want to get out there..
cheers
mark
matilda67
SSVC Member

Re: shocks?

by maddison » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:34 am
up and inch
down a tyre size
or
firm up the shocks (coils or air dampers)

thats the choices
maddison
SSVC Member

by Hongkongphooey » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:01 am
As per Maddison, raise it a bit or a smaller profile tyre. but what shocks are on there at the moment? If they are the standard oil filled ones they can be quite soft, you could go for some gas ones like the KYB ones that are firmer so should help, alternatively there are companies like GAZ that do adjustable firmness ones so you can tweek them up with a little adjuster on the shock until it doesnt catch anymore.

I think there is also a member on here that does something similar, cant remember the name though... (will have a look)
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member

by matilda67 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Hongkongphooey wrote:As per Maddison, raise it a bit or a smaller profile tyre. but what shocks are on there at the moment? If they are the standard oil filled ones they can be quite soft, you could go for some gas ones like the KYB ones that are firmer so should help, alternatively there are companies like GAZ that do adjustable firmness ones so you can tweek them up with a little adjuster on the shock until it doesnt catch anymore.

I think there is also a member on here that does something similar, cant remember the name though... (will have a look)
They are standard oil filled.....quite soft
I seen T2D do a coil over set for £185 (not tried these before and don't know if its cheap or not?)
If I go down to a lower profile surely that means I'm even lower at the front.....?
:wink:
matilda67
SSVC Member

by matilda67 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:24 pm
maddison wrote:up and inch
down a tyre size
or
firm up the shocks (coils or air dampers)

thats the choices
Hey up :)
Going down a tyre profile makes me lower at the front....... I can't go any lower :(
i think stiffer shocks....just which ones?
matilda67
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:20 am
matilda67 wrote: I seen T2D do a coil over set for £185 (not tried these before and don't know if its cheap or not?)

:wink:
The coilovers are cheap, just not with that sticker on them

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=733
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by Hongkongphooey » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:16 am
T2D do have expensive 'branding'!! 8O like their 'slam' shocks being the cheapo bugpack oil ones! anyway, I have never been too sure on the quality of those coilovers but they may be worth a go, or as said KYB GR2 are pretty firm when compared to an original oil shock. (Again try M7)
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member

by maddison » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:23 am
smaller tyre make the radius smaller - all the way round ;-)

so yep, you lose a very small amount from the hub to the floor...and also from the hub to th etop, where its rubbing

any way, its not the best solution, firming the suspension is

be wary of just getting new DAMPERS, you playing a guessing game as you dont know how much uprated the replacement is compared to your current ones
some adjustable dampers for example only adjust the rebound, which isnt gonna help to be honest

If you just gonna go for an over-rated damper to solve your problem, the down side is your ride will be too fitm, yes, it wont rub, but then neither would a bus with NO suspension...your teeth will grind tho ;-)

coilovers is the best solution, your assisting your current suspension (actually, virtually replacing it - so choose wisely)

some people have had success and are happy with the type2 detective coilovers...personally, I think they are sh*t3,...cheap sh!t3 at that ..but costs a lot ??? if your gonna put the weight and ride quality of your suspension in the hands of the coilovers, make it some good ones that are gonna ride nice - gaz shocks or similar...basically , any GOOD quality coilover - stick to a 1.9" coil, you wont fit 2.25" coils in the space you have, try get something with adjustable dampers, gaz shocks, monroe, spax, you know....something decent

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45111

for a bus front, I reckon you should be aiming for some springs around 150lbs, that will ride nice and you can dial the ride height to exactly where you want it, if it still rubs, just raise it a few turns until it doesnt
maddison
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 am
maddison wrote:smaller tyre make the radius smaller - all the way round ;-)

so yep, you lose a very small amount from the hub to the floor...and also from the hub to th etop, where its rubbing

be wary of just getting new DAMPERS, you playing a guessing game as you dont know how much uprated the replacement is compared to your current ones
some adjustable dampers for example only adjust the rebound, which isnt gonna help to be honest

If you just gonna go for an over-rated damper to solve your problem, the down side is your ride will be too fitm, yes, it wont rub, but then neither would a bus with NO suspension...your teeth will grind tho ;-)

coilovers is the best solution, your assisting your current suspension (actually, virtually replacing it - so choose wisely)

some people have had success and are happy with the type2 detective coilovers...personally, I think they are sh*t3,...cheap sh!t3 at that ..but costs a lot ??? if your gonna put the weight and ride quality of your suspension in the hands of the coilovers, make it some good ones that are gonna ride nice - gaz shocks or similar...basically , any GOOD quality coilover - stick to a 1.9" coil, you wont fit 2.25" coils in the space you have, try get something with adjustable dampers, gaz shocks, monroe, spax, you know....something decent

for a bus front, I reckon you should be aiming for some springs around 150lbs, that will ride nice and you can dial the ride height to exactly where you want it, if it still rubs, just raise it a few turns until it doesnt
Some top advice there. I run Koni gas adjustables on the front. They are very good but they're also very expensive.

Cheers, Lee.
e m p i

by matilda67 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:18 pm
e m p i wrote:

Some top advice there. I run Koni gas adjustables on the front. They are very good but they're also very expensive.

Cheers, Lee.
Chers lee,
will take a look.... :albino:
matilda67
SSVC Member

by matilda67 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Cheers :wink:
Its a situation that I have little experience with....another learning curve :roll:
The GAZ ones sound great....for my set up are they available off the shelf or do they make them up for each specific load and vehicle?
matilda67
SSVC Member

by notasprint » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:49 am
I've got a pair of Gaz coilovers ready to go on (hopefully this week), got them from here, very good service and helpful.

Your enquiry to GAZ has been passed to Dampertech

We already supply coil overs to many VW owners .

We keep in stock 406 open 292 closed units which seem to be the most popular size .

These are complete with springs and are adjustable for damping and ride height.

Price / pair £223.20 inc vat and delivery.

Regards

Dave

www.dampertech.co.uk

01709 703992

07973 382199
notasprint
SSVC Member

by maddison » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 am
thats a great price drom dampertech :cheers:

i have a pair 'as new' for £200 posted, but for those prices you may as well go straight to dampertech
maddison
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:04 am
I used rallydesign - about £180 using their own springs (which are much cheaper)
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member