The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Fuel gauge wiring

Fuel gauge wiring

by PIPKIN » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 am
Hi Folks

Just a quicky.

Does the ground wire required need to be connected to the small stub centrally mounted?

Advice appreciated as always.

Paul
:colors:
PIPKIN

Re: Fuel gauge wiring

by vwed » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:18 am
You've already earthed it looking at your picture. The positive goes to the tab with a + sign ~ the black wire in your picture. The earth goes to the other tab with a G sign ~ the red wire in your picture.
The earth by the way runs back to the sender unit which in turn is earthed to the chassis. For more detailed info check out the wiring diagram I posted up in this link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104286
vwed

by MarkFer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:28 am
That's funny, I had to replace the eye connector on mine last night as it broke whilst taking out the shelf...

Yes, on mine that stud is connected to earth, although strangely my gauge still worked with nothing connected...

Mark
MarkFer
SSVC Member

by gazpilot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 pm
As below

The G is from the sender, not the earth.

just re-read my post, the indicator part of the gauge is earthed via the sender which changes resistance as fuel is used/added "G". The actual gauge (for lighting) is earthed by an earthing wire on the earth terminal or by the clamp on the back earthing via the dash.......... I think lol

Grant
gazpilot
SSVC Member

by vwed » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:09 pm
If you actually look at the wiring diagram I referred to above you can see that there is no earth attached to the gauge via the short central nut/thread. This is because the gauge is earthed to the dash via the metal clamp that is attached via the two longer threaded rods at each side, to hold the gauge in place. Should this bracket be missing then yes, you will need to earth it via the central nut as gazpilot has done in his picture.
Picture below of correct bracket and knurled nuts:
vwed

by PIPKIN » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm
Thanks for the information, will sort this evening.

Paul
PIPKIN

by passion4 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:09 pm
gazpilot wrote:As below

The G is from the sender, not the earth.

just re-read my post, the indicator part of the gauge is earthed via the sender which changes resistance as fuel is used/added "G". The actual gauge (for lighting) is earthed by an earthing wire on the earth terminal or by the clamp on the back earthing via the dash.......... I think lol

Grant
’scuse the thread from the dead, but is this how to wire in a 12v to 6v regulator like this? http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ts7806cz-1a-p ... case-aw69a
passion4
SSVC Member

by gazpilot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:24 pm
That's the way Peter's diagram explained it. I'll look to see if I still have it.

Grant

Edit.

Ok I know Peter has stopped trading so I hope he doesn't mind me posting this. If you do Peter please let me know and I'll take it down.

gazpilot
SSVC Member