The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

How too split the king pin system.

How too split the king pin system.

by RPATTZ » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:21 pm
I'm looking to split the king pin system on my van but the trouble is I'm struggling to remove the parts which are pressed together. Even if heating them up its still a struggle. Anyone done this before. Richard.
RPATTZ

Re: How too split the king pin system.

by richandsue » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:30 pm
you will not do this with normal tools. you need a press that will exert something like 400 ton to pull them apart. go with a crack when it goes. putting them back is no problem, just push together at home.
richandsue
SSVC Member

by RPATTZ » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:51 pm
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking down that sort of line after struggling for a bit on my first go. 400 tonne seems a considerable amount of force just too split them considering there should be no real issue on refitting the new parts. I'm looking at getting these parts removed with some sort of press so I will update if it works.
RPATTZ

by paul_f » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:07 pm
My 10 ton press has managed to do any I have tried. You need to make tooling though
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by SSVC Van Register » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:30 pm
30 tons is my recommendation - have done hundreds of them over the years. Unfortunately not local to you , otherwise you could just pop round and I would separate them for you. You also need a bit of a jig to get the pressure in the right place.

Steve S.
SSVC Van Register