The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

Tow Bar with Vintage Speed Exhaust

Tow Bar with Vintage Speed Exhaust

by jamusbass » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 pm
I'm getting a 1915 motor built for my bus later this year and I really like the Vintage Speed exhaust for lowered busses. I had one on my 67 panel and loved it.

I now own an early microbus and require a tow bar for my wee gypsy trailer.

Has anyone had experience of fitting the autocraft tow bars with a vintage speed?

Thanks,

J
jamusbass
-

Re: Tow Bar with Vintage Speed Exhaust

by type21f » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:53 pm
Yes but I specified a vintage speed with side outlet.
I am not an ideal rspondant because I am not a "slam it" follower running at stock height, But you require a clear area for the tow bar in the centre..

Pictures here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74138&hilit=peebles&start=165
type21f
-

by jamusbass » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:38 am
Neat setup, if I was keeping it stock height that exhaust would be perfect. If the tow bar runs above the bottom of the valance I think the Lowerd bus VS exhaust will do the trick. Cheers for the reply and it helps to see detailed pictures too..
jamusbass
-

by type21f » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:59 am
Send an enquiry mail to Autocraft. Karl and Neil and Stuart etc. are excellent. There was a thread on here when they first started selling tow bars and it did cover using VS exhausts. I have the removable swan's neck which has a solid block on the back of the bar (which sits inside the curve of the bumper) going down. AFAIK this is the issue that the tuck away pipe runs along the lower edge back across the front of the exhaust box. I believe the swan' s neck will not fit but the fixed may do.
Ask...
type21f
-

by jamusbass » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:13 am
Cheers, I spoke to them yesterday. The general feeling was it will work with the tuck away VS. I was going to put rib bumpers on the bus but this would be an issue with the tow bar.

Cheers,

J
jamusbass
-

by vintagedan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:09 pm
Hi J
If you need a vintage speed system let me know as I do the best deals.
Cheers
Dan.
vintagedan
-

by type21f » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:28 pm
Are you planning to fit a swan's neck or fixed?
type21f
-

by jamusbass » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:36 pm
Cheers VintageDan, will be in touch.. Still weighing up my options..
jamusbass
-

by type21f » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:08 pm
The Autocraft swan's neck removeable arm tow bar has a block on the back of the cross beam.
OK if you have the side exit VS exhaust.
There is not enough room IMHO for this with the tuck away pipe. If you have a fixed tow ball the tuck away may work
There is a brake away snatch fitting mounted on mine which sticks down.

Just taken from the side. The rear valance had to be bent out a liitle to accomodate the rear box but there is clearance.

type21f
-

by jamusbass » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:34 pm
Thanks for the info mate :)
jamusbass
-

by ducatis » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:25 am
My Samba is practically stock height running with your set up.
Removable Autocraft hitch and Vintage Speed exhaust. With the ball off you hardly know its there.
I see you've got the pics, you won't be disappointed.
ducatis
-

by type21f » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:39 am
Ah side exit or tuck away though. .
type21f
-

by Sjtw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 pm
Did you find a solution Jamusbass?
I'm looking at the same tuck away exhaust but might want to fit a tow bar at a later date.
I though perhaps the detachable neck tow plate, might work rather than the swan neck as it looks like it fits in the top rather than underneath.
http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/tow- ... 58-67_477/

I think I'm going to be crawling under a lot of buses with a tape measure at Volksworld this year :D
Sjtw
-

by type21f » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:29 pm
My pictures in Peebles show the removeable...Comes in a nice bag and with a hinged bracket for the socket is invisible in that postion.
type21f
-

by Sjtw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:45 pm
Yes, I read that with Interest, I think the one I posted above would work with the tuck away exhaust as it attaches above the bumper rather than below like yours, so having the tailpipe running right underneath shouldn't be a problem.
There's probably only an inch or half an inch difference between how far the two exhausts drop down, but the last time I got pulled into a flatbed truck my current exhaust left a 3ft gouge in the Tarmac :) so if it happens again I suspect that lovely side exit exhaust would be squashed!
Oh for a garage I could put a stock height bus in!!
Sjtw
-