The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Drive shaft query

Drive shaft query

by huggiebear » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:22 pm
I am starting to see the light at the end of my 18 month restoration and I think I'm coming to the end of my technical capabilities!
I am attempting to fit a gearbox to an IRS setup done by Franklins VW werks, I have placed the gearbox, that came with the van, in with drive shafts attached but the shafts see to be about 1 inch too long. Just wondering if I need to disconnect everything from the plates? or do I need smaller shafts? Can't seem to find any thing similar in the sooper dooper web. All and any advice appreciated.
huggiebear
SSVC Member

Re: Drive shaft query

by vwJim » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:27 am
No, you don't disconnect anything.

Maybe a photo might help, or more detail on the parts / type of IRS you have.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by huggiebear » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:32 am
The biggest problem is I don't have much history of the bus, the conversion appears to be a shop fab job as it not a bolt on job.
Here are some pics but they are not the best.
I know the bott0m gearbox mount cradle is missing, I was attempting to have a dry fit first.
huggiebear
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:41 pm
Have you compressed the cv's fully? Have you measured the driveshaft length vs standard length used on conversion?

If so, suspect the driveshafts are Bay.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by huggiebear » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:24 pm
I have compressed the shafts and they still will not fit, appear to be 20mm ish too long. I took the shaft off, but I am unable to pull the bearings, the shaft measures approximately 415 mm. Any ideas?
huggiebear
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:33 am
Can you show a better picture of the arms where stub axle goes in.
The bus has had the IRS done at beetle width, either by using spacers at the springplate or by narrowing the torsion tube.
Difficult to see on my phone but the IRS arms look narrowed to me as well
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by JonnyCJ » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:22 am
First thing I'd do is get some decent axle stands. Those blocks of wood will be very wobbly if you're giving it some welly putting in gearboxes etc. You'll also have plenty more room to manoeuvre and feel a lot safer !

You can get a decent set for £30 ish.
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by huggiebear » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:03 am
Hi Paul, thanks, I will take some detailed photos later on today.
HI Jonny, I have 3 sets of stands but they are at use else where. Thanks for the concern but the van is solid! But it does look a bit sketchy in the pics though!
Just when it seems I'm making some progress......................
huggiebear
SSVC Member

by huggiebear » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:25 pm
More pics of the set up -

I believe its a bay window brake assembly, I can't seem to find any topics for this issue on the net, HELP!!!!
huggiebear
SSVC Member

by aircoolsteve » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:45 pm
Are they bus or bug C/Vs. And where did the drive shafts come from? Just trying to id the drive shafts. Best thing is to remove the c/vs and put them next to a bug shaft. Someone on here will have a bug shaft they can measure.
aircoolsteve

by paul_f » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:25 pm
The axles you have got are beetle length, and your arms have been narrowed - therefore you will need axles that are shorter
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by huggiebear » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:30 pm
Hi Paul, sounds like a plan. Now the next thing........ How do I measure the required length?
I really do appreciate your help.
huggiebear
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:02 pm
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merch ... -irs-axles

You could cut, sleeve and weld your current ones. Need a machine shop to make a thick sleeve that is a press fit and a big welder to weld it up
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by huggiebear » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:49 pm
Thanks for the link, it has confirmed the only thread I could find on the samba. Measuring center cup drive to center with a pair of dowels and mark it up, measure and subtract 1/4 inch. I will need an drive shaft that is 15 5/8 inches (396mm). That's a load off my mind! Just need to get them shortend and find an auto electrician. Thank you all for putting a positive end to such a frustrating week! I owe you all a beer!
huggiebear
SSVC Member