The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Semi circular tabs on heater pipes

Semi circular tabs on heater pipes

by rusty1962 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 am

Does anyone know the purpose of these details? There's a couple of them on my heater pipes.

Thanks in advance

Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

Re: Semi circular tabs on heater pipes

by maddison » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:41 am
dunno, but I would weld it up (unless for some reason you want to tap into the warm air supply to provide it somewhere else, which is what i presume that holes for

I have never seen that before, and mine doesn't have one…where is the bus from ?
maddison
SSVC Member

by rusty1962 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:51 am
maddison wrote:dunno, but I would weld it up (unless for some reason you want to tap into the warm air supply to provide it somewhere else, which is what i presume that holes for

I have never seen that before, and mine doesn't have one…where is the bus from ?
Thanks for reply. It's from Texas/Oklahoma. There's one on the next but two section towards the front too, the curved one that goes through the cab floor and connects to the vent pipe.

If there's no need for them I'll seam seal them up.

Cheers,

Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by andy f » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:51 am
I always wondered what they were I have one on mine on the curve up into the cab.

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by DoubleD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:42 pm
I have exactly the same as rusty62. Mine is a '62 as well, but was exported to Sweden by VW.

I have always assumed that these semi-circular 'slits' were to allow condensate to escape, hence reducing the possibility of rusting from the inside outwards. Condensation will certainly form in the heater tubing when warm air from the engine meets the cold steel inner surface. It's a common problem with Beetle heater channels.

I may be completely wrong, but I can't think of another good reason!

Cheers,
Dave.
DoubleD
SSVC Member

by maddison » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:57 pm
but they would be wrapped in the factory wadding, so if water ran out, the insulation would get damp and rust the metal
maddison
SSVC Member

by NUGGET » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:59 pm
To let the tube breath, stop condensation
Me thinks
NUGGET

by rusty1962 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:01 pm
DoubleD wrote:I have exactly the same as rusty62. Mine is a '62 as well, but was exported to Sweden by VW.

I have always assumed that these semi-circular 'slits' were to allow condensate to escape, hence reducing the possibility of rusting from the inside outwards. Condensation will certainly form in the heater tubing when warm air from the engine meets the cold steel inner surface. It's a common problem with Beetle heater channels.

I may be completely wrong, but I can't think of another good reason!

Cheers,
Dave.
Hi Dave,

that's a good call, and one which I had also considered. The only thing against this is that they are not at the lowest part of the tube. I believe VW put them there for a reason though and this could be it.

We'll have to put it to the vote :cheers:
Cheers

Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by rusty1962 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:20 pm
maddison wrote:but they would be wrapped in the factory wadding, so if water ran out, the insulation would get damp and rust the metal
…which it did, if mine were anything to go by :lol: :lol:
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by DoubleD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:52 pm
Yup, it's a weird one. They're all good points - just can't think of any other reason why VW would bother to put them there!
DoubleD
SSVC Member

by maddison » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:06 am
I really don't think they are for condensation

1st thing, we don't know that condensation is an issue (apart from a lot of rusted out heater pipes..understandable after 50 years)
while in regular use, any condensation in the pipes (if there ever was any) would be disposed of next time the vehicle was used and the warm air run through the pipes

surely if VW saw this pipe as a condensation hot spot, they would have put a drain at the lowest point, and used a system that cleared the heat wrapping

also….what about all the other pipes in the heating system, especially the long one from front to back

I would say that there is an option…god knows what….that requires a feed up front from this warm air pipe, pipes with the pre-cut like the picture, obviously didn't have this option, as the pre cut is still complete (and the wrapping would have stopped any heat loss from the small cut)

what year are the buses with this pre-cut ?? like i say, my 64 doesn't have any

i'm hoping they are later buses than 64, that would then suggest there was an option on later buses, so they all had the pre-cut incase this option was ticked

what would be amazing, would be if someone had the option, that required, x2 feeds from a warm air pipe
maddison
SSVC Member

by rusty1962 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:32 am
maddison wrote:I really don't think they are for condensation

1st thing, we don't know that condensation is an issue (apart from a lot of rusted out heater pipes..understandable after 50 years)
while in regular use, any condensation in the pipes (if there ever was any) would be disposed of next time the vehicle was used and the warm air run through the pipes

surely if VW saw this pipe as a condensation hot spot, they would have put a drain at the lowest point, and used a system that cleared the heat wrapping

also….what about all the other pipes in the heating system, especially the long one from front to back

I would say that there is an option…god knows what….that requires a feed up front from this warm air pipe, pipes with the pre-cut like the picture, obviously didn't have this option, as the pre cut is still complete (and the wrapping would have stopped any heat loss from the small cut)

what year are the buses with this pre-cut ?? like i say, my 64 doesn't have any

i'm hoping they are later buses than 64, that would then suggest there was an option on later buses, so they all had the pre-cut incase this option was ticked

what would be amazing, would be if someone had the option, that required, x2 feeds from a warm air pipe
Mine's April '62. Double D's is also '62.
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by maddison » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 am
LOL - dunno then :lol: :lol:
maddison
SSVC Member

by wejjy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:11 am
I also agree with Maddison, I very much doubt these are for condensation. VW would have removed the wrap from the pipe or made a proper drain hole in my opinion rather than a little opening like this. I reckon they were for an optional part or heat duct. Did any of the buses that were shipped to colder climates have extra heater tubes or recirc pipes??
wejjy

by andy f » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:55 pm
The only use I found for it was to get the dirt / soil out that had gathered in the bend up to the cab.

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member