The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

Steering Box Raise vs Rack Conversion

Steering Box Raise vs Rack Conversion

by neili » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:43 pm
Hello Hello ..

My second post today!!! Been workin on the van ... always opens up more questions and things to think about :) :) :faroah: :faroah:

So I need to raise my box orrrr no a rack conversion .. it catches on things and drives me MENTAL ...

A) Whats the preffered method?

B) Creative Engineering Racks - Has any one fitted one? They seem pretty simple to fit. Whats the end result like?

C) Steering box raise - if this is the way to go can anyone recommend anyone in the south east who will do a quality job??

Thoughts ???
neili
-

Re: Steering Box Raise vs Rack Conversion

by Vwstu » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:11 pm
I'm planning on a steering box raise as I have the same issue of the box hitting the ground at times. There's a lot of play in the box so I'm planning a rebuild and a raise, don't have any experience with the creative rack but have heard people saying only good things about it but it's not cheap and I can't see why a good condition or Refurbed box sitting a little higher won't do the trick.
Vwstu
-

by neili » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:50 pm
I agree with you .. its an expensive option. I think its the part of chopping and welding. I can do the rack myself and trust my own work. I'd be up for the raise if I knew someone who could do the body mod for me ..
neili
-

by wmk168 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:54 pm
After 5 years of scraping the box and wearing out box guards ,two weeks ago fitted a Hayburner lift kit with Hayburner brake leaver.
What a great bit of kit,if your steering box is good use the lift kit option .
Scrapes and bangs are now a thing of the past :) ,now why didn't i do that years ago ?
Steering box ever time,bit that's just personal preference
wmk168
-

by neili » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 am
Just did a google for Hayburner lift kit but couldn't find anything ... got any info or links?

Thanks!!! :) :)
neili
-

by nedfaux » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:05 pm
nedfaux
-

by henk » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:10 pm
henk
-

by Vwstu » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:25 am
These kits look really cool :-)
Vwstu
-

by splitty_ash » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:38 pm
I to am in the same boat, hayburner lift kit is next on the to buy list for me as looks a fab kit
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425559074.563096.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425559074.563096.jpg [ 276.96 KiB | Viewed 335 times ]
splitty_ash
-

by flatbeat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 pm
Fitted a Creative rack on the 15w....really easy and reversible if you wanted to change back for some reason. Had a raised box on the last bus and couldn't get to the filler plug to top it up. Rack might be a more expensive option but much easier and you end up with much more positive steering. Raised box means cutting and welding the chassis...pedals got to be trimmed and then reinforced, floors got to be relieved (dented) and the column has to be shortened. Seems like a lot of hacking about....
flatbeat
-

by Vwstu » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:14 pm
Must admit, since this thread started I've been looking at the creative kit too and now I'm torn, both the creative kit and the hay burner lift kit look like top quality products. I guess for me I will have to weigh up costs. I'd have to have my steering box rebuilt plus buy the hay burner kit plus the time fitting and welding etc compared to buying creative kit and fitting. I guess at least the creative way leaves the metalwork stock and means I wont get covered in sparks and burns ha ha :-)
Vwstu
-

by Vwstu » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:03 pm
So does anybody know a rough cost of having your steering box rebuilt?
Vwstu
-

by vwJim » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:24 am
Vwstu wrote:
So does anybody know a rough cost of having your steering box rebuilt?

Depends on what is wrong with it.
vwJim
-

by vwJim » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:41 am
Vwstu wrote:
Must admit, since this thread started I've been looking at the creative kit too and now I'm torn, both the creative kit and the hay burner lift kit look like top quality products. I guess for me I will have to weigh up costs. I'd have to have my steering box rebuilt plus buy the hay burner kit plus the time fitting and welding etc compared to buying creative kit and fitting. I guess at least the creative way leaves the metalwork stock and means I wont get covered in sparks and burns ha ha :-)

Fitting the CE rack means you have to cut the main chassis rail to clear the bevel box, so that should be taken into consideration. Also you can't use the OG horn button. Worst thing for me is the reduced access you have to clutch cable / handbrake cables so maintenance (or clutch cable replacement on the side of the road) becomes harder.
vwJim
-

by Vwstu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:25 am
Cool, all worth considering.
Vwstu
-