The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Removing engine clear instructions please........

Removing engine clear instructions please........

by miles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:14 pm
I have the task of removing the engine in my bus. It's a 1600 twin port. Never done this before, but I have been stripping down Vectors new engine. So I am after an easy to follow guide.

I have John Muirs book, and a Bentley manual.

I have a good Clarke jack, and some wood for chocks.

The engine is going to go on a pallet.

I will be taking my time, and getting removing ancillaries.

I understand there are four bolts, and you need to wiggle the engine away from the gearbox / bellhousing.
Making sure to keep everything clear, when moving.

I could do with some more specific pointers, resources :)

Can anyone suggest any?

Thanks

Miles.
miles

Re: Removing engine clear instructions please........

by passion4 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:56 pm
A good kettle, plenty of tea and a mug! :D
passion4
SSVC Member

by matt d » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:59 pm
double check you have disconnected everything like the heater cables which i always seem to forget. The engine will balance nicely on the jack, you can easily pull it out yourself. I would rig up some blocks for you to lower the engine onto when you pull it out or you will be stuck wondering how to get it off the jack
matt d

by Dr Grub » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:01 pm
Miles

Probably best to get some advice from experience rather than a book so here goes....

- I find it easier to remove the engine with rear bumper and valence removed. Can be done with rear bumper in place but why make matters harder for yourself!

- disconnect battery and it can stay put, it doesn't have to be removed.

- remove air filter assembly completely (if original style is fitted)

- disconnect wiring from coil, carb choke, oil pressure switch and alternator/Dynamo labelling as you go along. You will find that some wiring stays on the coil and does not need to be undone. Tuck the wiring loom to one side of the engine bay clear of the engine.

- undo accelerator cable and push cable through the fan housing (it won't go through completely but that doesn't matter).

- crawl under the bus and remove the heater cables to the heat exchangers andpull away the heater pipes at the top. Again pipes don't need to be removed just loose fit so there is no resistance when you pull the engine out. You may need to jack the bus up a bit at this point depending how low your bus is or how fat you are (I need a bit of height clearance!).

- whilst you are under the bus remove the left hand bolt to the engine, it is a bit of a bugger to undo as the head is tucked up by the top of the gearbox but patience and a good ratchet kit will get it eventually plus eight arms and twelve fingers!

- back up top reach behind the fan housing and undo the right hand side 17mm nut for the second engine bolt. The engine will be supported now by the bottom two bolts so time to get the jack and wooden support under the sump plate of the engine.

- lightly support the engine with the jack, no need to get the bus up in the air it is just there as a safety net for now.

- back under the bus remove the last two 17mm nuts on the bottom of the gearbox holding the engine in place.

- back up top raise the jack up a bit more to make sue it is firmly supporting the engine.

- reach each side of the fan housing or use the exhaust and wiggle the engine while pulling forward you will feel it move towards you on the jack. Keep wiggling and moving it towards you and you will feel it come off the gearbox.

- it is now only on the jack so move it towards you and then use a bit of common sense and adjustment of the level of the Jack to bring it through the rear of the bus. Ideally you want the jack at a low setting as it makes it more stable to handle.

I have probably forgotten something so I am sure that someone will chip in or possibly tell you a slightly different order but this guide will essentially get the job done.

Dr. G :wink:
Dr Grub
SSVC Member

by miles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:05 pm
Wonderful advice so far. Thank you :)
miles

by beetleben » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:28 pm
Follow Dr G's instructions, you'll be amazed how easy it is and i'm not very confidant at mechanics :wink:
beetleben

by 8 8US » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:15 pm
Dr Grub wrote:
- whilst you are under the bus remove the left hand bolt to the engine, it is a bit of a bugger to undo as the head is tucked up by the top of the gearbox but patience and a good ratchet kit will get it eventually plus eight arms and twelve fingers!
You may find that there is a nut on the engine side, if an early engine (think this is correct) or the captive nut has been removed, hopefully it has as it is easier to remove this way, check behind the fan housing with a mirror and torch.

You'll get quick at after a few goes, believe me I know......
8 8US
SSVC Member

by miles » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:19 pm
Need some help please.

Everything is disconnected. I have removed the bottom nuts.

But I need to know where the top two are. One on the right behind fan shroud. But where the **** is the 4th one.

Tired filthy dirty, but need an answer to this please :)
miles

by miles » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:57 pm
Here is a picture of behind fan shroud. I would have expected to see two bolts, but there only the one on the right :(
miles

by Banger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:39 am
See that black line centre of the pic above ? It's pointing towards the nearside "captive nut" that's an interference fit in the case. There will be a bolt with a 17mm spanner head going into that. That bolt can be undone and removed.

On the offside will be the starter motor. The lower fastening for this is a nut on a stud and the upper may or may not have the half moon type head on the starter side of the bellhousing. If it's the former you just need a 17mm spanner on the nut behind the fanshroud. Remove the nut and you're done. Even if it is the latter I'd try just to loosen the nut on it's own without trying to get a spanner/socket on the bolt head - you may find that the bolt stays put enough to allow this.
Banger
SSVC Member

by 8 8US » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:40 am
miles wrote:Here is a picture of behind fan shroud. I would have expected to see two bolts, but there only the one on the right :(
Miles

The captive nut is the round thing right at the front of the picture, you need to get under your bus and get a spanner or a 17mm socket on a shorty ratchet and undo from the gearbox side.

Richard
8 8US
SSVC Member

by miles » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 am
8 8US wrote:
miles wrote:Here is a picture of behind fan shroud. I would have expected to see two bolts, but there only the one on the right :(
Miles

The captive nut is the round thing right at the front of the picture, you need to get under your bus and get a spanner or a 17mm socket on a shorty ratchet and undo from the gearbox side.

Richard
miles

by miles » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:55 am
Thank you for the info :). Alot of this is new.

The VW / Bently manual did not say this (captive nut).

There should be a Miles section, before the n for numpty section :)
miles

by jayvanman » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:45 pm
I grabbed these pics from another thread so you can see where the holes are for the bolts

take a look at the bottom pic.

you can clearly see the 3 holes and the space where the starter goes.

the very top left hole is where the bolt goes through the engine , then bell housing then the starter. of course with the starter in the way it's tricky to get to.

Image Image[/quote]
jayvanman

by miles » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:04 pm
Engine out :)

Thank you for all the help and assistance :)
miles