The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

straight axle advice needed, checking Im doing it right!

straight axle advice needed, checking Im doing it right!

by Tony Shep » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 pm
Hi

My bus is plodding along nicely, got underneath sorted with epoxy mastic, front beam on, drum to drum, now on the SA conversion!
But! Due to some changes in my personal life, Im moving fast on this, need to get this bus rolling asap!

So I have a few questions

1. I put one axle tube in tonight, only did one as I ended up using six gaskets to get a nice moving axle tube, is that normal, seemed a lot to me?

2. I need to use some kind of gasket sealer on these, any type in particular? also, does it need to go between all the gaskets or is gasket on gasket good enough

3. should I use the same gasket sealer on the nose cone gasket?

4. wanted to check I have right bearings, they are 19mm deep

5. I need to order a seal kit for the bearing housing, Im using T3 brakes, do I order for that or just a regular split seal kit, so the bearing housing gasket, O ring etc

6. I bought the bits for this conversion about 18 months ago and forgot a lot of what I was told :oops: I have two bearing covers, both need the old bearings pressing out, one os deeper than the other, which one do I use/

7. Do i flip the backing plates so the handbrake comes out of the top?

So many questions and so little time, if you can help I would really appreciate it due to the urgency of my situation!

Cheers

Tony
Tony Shep
-

Re: straight axle advice needed, checking Im doing it right!

by maddison » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:31 am
Tony Shep wrote:
Hi

My bus is plodding along nicely, got underneath sorted with epoxy mastic, front beam on, drum to drum, now on the SA conversion!
But! Due to some changes in my personal life, Im moving fast on this, need to get this bus rolling asap!

1. I put one axle tube in tonight, only did one as I ended up using six gaskets to get a nice moving axle tube, is that normal, seemed a lot to me?

2. I need to use some kind of gasket sealer on these, any type in particular? also, does it need to go between all the gaskets or is gasket on gasket good enough

5. I need to order a seal kit for the bearing housing, Im using T3 brakes, do I order for that or just a regular split seal kit, so the bearing housing gasket, O ring etc

6. I bought the bits for this conversion about 18 months ago and forgot a lot of what I was told :oops: I have two bearing covers, both need the old bearings pressing out, one os deeper than the other, which one do I use

So many questions and so little time, if you can help I would really appreciate it due to the urgency of my situation!

Cheers

Tony

1.not sure exactly what you mean , x6 gaskets seems excessive ?? and what do you mean by moving nice, it doesn't have to be totally free moving
2. I would run a smear of sealant…personally, but doubt VW did
3. as above
4. look right
5. Forget about split screens….you have a T3 back end, everything you need will be for the T3 (except the nose cone)
6. you want a match pair of bearing covers
7. my handbrake cables entered at the top…not sure if thats flipped or not
maddison
-

by Bren Ralls » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 am
Tony Shep wrote:
Hi

6. I bought the bits for this conversion about 18 months ago and forgot a lot of what I was told :oops: I have two bearing covers, both need the old bearings pressing out, one os deeper than the other, which one do I use/

Will help were i can on my take or how i did mine.

1. 6 gaskets does seem allot so would check everything is beaded correctly, think from memory mine was 1 or 2. it does need to be tight & the axle tube drop slowly under its own weight. If to loose when on the bus under its weight can then show movemevnt.

2. sealant for these areas hylomar or similar is enough. if you just use gasket the oil gradually impregnates it and it seals but easy to remove item & re use if you wish. to seal both faces with sealant which impregnates gasket & seals, good belt & braces & wont leak but destroys gasket on removal. no wrong or right but im belt & braces.

3. nose cone same sealant as hopefully not something you replace or service.

4. Bearings seem right but at this stage use new & good quality, Same size for SA & easily available.

5. Repalcement seals come in a kit for SA normally 2 gaskets, large & small oring & a split pin.

6. Difference in this may just be outer size, so double check inner depths but not wise enough on differences in year changes of items.

7. My backing plates & drums are late T1 & fitted so hand brake cable entry is at the bottom, right or wrong not sure but works fine sorry not sure on T3.

Hope that helps a little
Bren Ralls
-

by Tony Shep » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:35 am
Great, just had a quick read! Looks like I may be a bit too loose on the tubes!
Tony
Tony Shep
-

by Tony Shep » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:07 pm
More time too read this now!

I can get some gaskets out, think it may end up at 4, I had two left and tried them on the side I hadn't done and it was too tight

Regarding the bearing covers, one has a lip of around 6mm, the photo shows this, one has no lip up to the chamfer

I'll order a seal kite, T3 cylinders and shoes

cylinder
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/type3/3 ... StartRow=1

Shoes
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/type3/3 ... StartRow=1
Description says the following "Standard 1302/03 front brake shoes. Has pre-drilled holes so they can also be used for Type 3 rear drum brakes unlike 113-698-537/L. Supplied as a set per axle"
Are those correct, thinking I should check the width against the depth of the drum, should be 40mm?

Struggling to find the seal kit at the moment!

Tony
Tony Shep
-

by Bren Ralls » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:33 pm
the bearing covers hopefully someone will chime in as thats a model specific thing & my knowledge doesnt go that far.

Seal kit bearings etc http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-b ... xle_parts/

Brake shoes seem right as the t3 i think is 45mm. its the bug or t1 stuff thats 40mm and smaller.
Bren Ralls
-

by Tony Shep » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:22 pm
Cheers, I got the seal kit sorted from heritage

I'll measure the drums later, could do with knowing the width of the shoes, 40mm?

Tony
Tony Shep
-

by berpsta » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:32 pm
It's been a while since I did mine 6 gaskets does seem excessive think I've used 3 or 4 in the past. Torque the bolts up to 14lbs I believe? I put sealer between the gaskets I don't use hylomar I use flange sealant http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... ge-sealant for a good oil tight seal used hylomar in the past and I wasnt a fan of it.
As pointed out your bearing covers need to match. Not sure now low your planning on going but I'd suggest either getting some sealed bearings or smearing them in some grease due to possible oil starvation. I'm considering doing a T3 hub install on my current box so be interesting to know what things you find out with yours
Sean
berpsta
-

by berpsta » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:35 pm
You'll also possibly find the paper gaskets for the backing plate end are a crap fit and you have to enlarge the internal diameter of these to get them to fit
berpsta
-

by Tony Shep » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 pm
thanks for the advice

I do have a pair of each of the bearing housings in the photo, just don't know which one it will be!

nice afternoon, so worked outside, fitting brake lines

T
Tony Shep
-

by Tony Shep » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:50 pm
just popped into the cellar to have another look at this!

reduced shims to three and it drops under its own weight but less free moving, going to go with that, sound like normal number of shims now!

T
Tony Shep
-

by butty » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:22 am
You need to use the taller bearing housing . When you fit the spacers on the axle you need to use the thin ones first and make sure the big chamfered / radiused inside edge is facing towards the gearbox itself then the bearing goes in . I fitted my backplates on opposite sides so handbrake cables exit over the top at the time it was the most obvious way to go . But you can do either . Just mail me for any other bits of info . If I can help I will .
butty
-

by Tony Shep » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:11 am
Cheers simon. I had the bus boys fitting guide helping me here and that part was clear, just didnt know which housing to use!

Nice weekend ahead, so hopefully rolling by then!

Tony
Tony Shep
-

by vwJim » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:18 am
Regarding the gaskets, there are about three different thicknesses, so you should of used less thicker ones instead of many thin ones.

The bearing cover depends on which end castings you're using. The bearing is 19mm, the end casting has a recess Xmm deep, the backing plate is Ymm deep, that leaves you ???mm... Measure the bearing covers and one will be correct.
vwJim
-

by Tony Shep » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:48 pm
Cheers Jim

That's what I did yesterday, problem is, I had the bearings and covers in work and the shaft tubes were at home, got it all together last night and it makes sense with the spacers, back plate added! It will be the deeper cover I think

Thanks, really appreciate the help here, hopefully on wheels this weekend! Just trying to see if I can loan a digital protractor from work for the weekend to set my spring plates!

Tony
Tony Shep
-