The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

More stupid questions ....

More stupid questions ....

by DoubleD » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:11 am
Hi all, just a couple more simple queries you might be able to help with:

1. Do the stock armrests fitted either side on the interior trim panels have to be removed to use a full-width rock and roll bed?

2. What is the purpose of the large springs used with the cab door internal handles - and how should they be fitted?

Thanks folks - no doubt I'll come up with some more trivia as the interior nears completion.

Dave.

(1962 23W Deluxe)
DoubleD
-

Re: More stupid questions ....

by type21f » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:39 am
I ..... no idea
2......AFAIK. ..There were foam pads on later buses...64 66 I know behind the interior panels to keep the handle "buffer" tight up to the handle. But theses handles had a central screw to tighten the handle to the shaft of the operating mechanism.
On 1962 "Sherry" there were no large springs ....The POs at some time had covered the interior panels with black 70's padded foam vinyl ...so maybe the vinyl was too thick and they were done away with.
My belief was that the large springs were between the interior panel and the "buffer"...and you pushed the panel to compress the spring and fitted the pin to the hole in the handle.
I had real difficulty getting the pins out and chewed the back faces of my handles....But I do intend to reuse them after some TIC. ..
type21f
-

by DoubleD » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:54 am
Thanks G - that's what I thought about question 2.

Can't see the need for springs - they seem unnecessarily strong. I'm sure a foam pad would be just as good and probably less effort to fit.
DoubleD
-

by e m p i » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:27 pm
DoubleD wrote:
Thanks G - that's what I thought about question 2.

Can't see the need for springs - they seem unnecessarily strong. I'm sure a foam pad would be just as good and probably less effort to fit.

But if you've got the them why not fit them as it's the proper way to do it? You'll feel better for it :D
e m p i
-

by DoubleD » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:15 pm
Yes, I will fit the springs if only because I do have them, but they seem excessively strong which will make inserting the little pin into the handle quite a tricky job.

Any views on the full-width seat/bed and the armrests anyone?
DoubleD
-

by clymoj » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:26 pm
I had a full width fixed bed with the original armrests in place. Don't know how a R&R clears though?

Don't the springs stop the escutions (spelling?) from rattling? My memory is hazy but that was my understanding.
clymoj
-

by DoubleD » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:52 pm
I think you are right about the springs - they just seem a tad strong for the job.

I imagine the armrests will foul a full-width seat/bed. I believe someone makes an adjustable width R&R unit, but not sure who.
DoubleD
-

by type21f » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:31 pm
escutcheons escutcheons escutcheons....say after me!
type21f
-

by DoubleD » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:37 pm
Finally got around to fitting the cab door handles and escutcheons - a complete pain of a job!

With almost no give in the panel or the conical spring, getting enough clearance to put the stupid little retaining pin in place was almost impossible - despite another pair of hands and a knee providing much needed assistance! Anyway, the handles (and springs) are now fitted correctly, but I doubt I'll ever get them off again. Let's hope I don't need to!

Also, regarding beds and armrests, VW Heritage say that the armrests will not interfere with their full-width R&R bed unit. Still haven't decided which way to go, so have fitted both side panels without the armrests for the moment. However, to give the panels support, particularly the long side, I have glued each armrest bracket onto the backs of the panels. I will just need to remove the panels again to bolt the headrests in place.

Interior is now almost finished apart from the seats.
DoubleD
-

by clymoj » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:36 am
Looking nice.
clymoj
-

by type21f » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:30 am
Looking very nice...
I think the clue is in the panel thickness....I belive these are 4mm panels not 3mm and that makes them much stiffer,,,and all the other panels it is not so noticeable where they are flat but door panels do curve so the panel makes the gap small to get the pins in!
Looks very very nice..
Set me a high bar to get over to make my own..
Spoke to jay so thinking about time v effort will not be TMI that is for sure...
G
type21f
-

by chrystal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:56 am
I have tmi door panals. They have warped in the damp. Now have a dehumidifier set up. Bit late for the panals though
chrystal
-

by type21f » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:01 am
You can with care take them off and damp them on the back and then lay them face down with lots of heavy weights on the back to flatten them.
I fitted 1200 grade polythene water sheders behind all my panels double sided taped to the frame.
type21f
-

by DoubleD » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:22 am
The panels are actually 3mm ply, varnished on both sides before being covered. I initially fitted a waterproof membrane onto the cab doors using a silicone adhesive, which fell off when I started to fit the panels on top. I then secured them with adhesive tape - double-sided tape from the start would have been a better way.

All of the original VW panels were made from hardboard, which is even less flexible than 3mm ply and would probably make fitting the handles and escutcheons even harder. Can't understand why VW didn't use a screw through the centre arrangement, like the cargo door handles - way simpler.

BTW most of my raw panels were supplied by Jayvanman on here - nice job Jay, accurately cut, and long side panel in a single piece. However covering them in two-tone style was a lengthy and tedious business, with care needed to ensure that the bands and trim strips lined up properly all around the inside of the bus. I now understand why the TMI panels are so expensive!
DoubleD
-

by floyd1969 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:31 am
If your talking about the type of rock and roll that uses the original seat to keep it looking stock , then you can't use those with the arm rests still in place . The unit type rock roll I don't know.
floyd1969
-