The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

Electronic ignition?

Electronic ignition?

by frenzydude » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:50 am
Im running an 1835 engine with 009 dizzy and twin 40 dells. Everything works fine and trouble free but I am wondering if I will get any improvement in either performance or economy by fitting an electronic ignition module in my existing 009 dizzy. If yes is the Pertronix 2 module worth all the extra money over the Accuspark module?
frenzydude
-

Re: Electronic ignition?

by e m p i » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:24 pm
If everything works as to should with no issues is leave things as they are. If the points carp it at the side of the road its a 5 minute job, if an electronic ignition unit carps it at the side of the road its a ball ache. Plus it's just another thing to go wrong.

Cheers, Lee.
e m p i
-

by Peter Good » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:58 am
Just to add a bit of a balanced reply to this topic. Points also do go wrong and fail; they sometimes go short circuit, not very often I accept, and they certainly wear like the clappers since 'health & safety' stopped the sensible and appropriate compounds being added to the heel and the contacts to reduce the wear.
Peter Good
Peter Good
-

by frenzydude » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:34 am
I've decided to try the Accuspark and see how it goes. However I will carry a spate set of points and condensor just in case.
frenzydude
-