The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

Type 4 engine which exhaust should I use

Type 4 engine which exhaust should I use

by gtirron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:42 pm
Hi
I am having a type 4 engine in by splitty but not sure what exhaust I should go with.
Can anyone advise. Photos would be great.
Thanks
Ronnie
gtirron
-

Re: Type 4 engine which exhaust should I use

by paul_f » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:27 am
What sort of type 4 engine? The vintagespeed looks nice and fits behind the bus nicely. I have a BAS exhaust which needs modification to allow the silencers to fit as well as the valence cutting.

http://www.vintagespeed.co.uk/index.php ... 33&Itemid=

For the J tubes you could use VW 411 heater boxes with the shrouds cutoff, they occasionally come up cheaply at swapmeets.
paul_f
-

by DoubleD » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:42 am
I fitted a Vintage Speed exhaust - looks and sounds very nice.

You can make J- tubes out of any of the heat exchangers used with these engines, but the pipes have to be shortened to enable the muffler to fit inside the rear valance. Vintage Speed also do a very nice set in stainless steel, but they are quite expensive.

You can also get shortened 411/412 heat exchangers (CSP I think), but again these are expensive. However, you will need to figure out how to provide an air supply for these to function properly.

I went round in circles over this issue but in the end I got some bespoke stainless headers made by a local firm.

I'll post some pics later which may help.
DoubleD
-

by DoubleD » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:35 pm
Here you go - hope these are useful:

The inner pipes of a 411/412 heat exchanger - chopped up to experiment with length required.

I got stainless headers made locally - the stainless flanges for welding onto the pipes were supplied by Vintage Speed. This is the offside pair.

The muffler needs to sit in this position to clear the rear valance (when fitted) and is quite close to the crankshaft pulley.

Another view showing the required position.

Just enough room for a pulley enclosure - stops the heat rising into the engine bay.

Engine, exhaust system and valance installed.

Heat reflective lining to protect valance from excessive heat.

How it looks when finished.

Cheers,
DD
DoubleD
-

by gtirron » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:32 am
Thanks for the reply, pictures are really helpful. I was just looking at a side exit exhaust at vintage speed.
Thanks
Ronnie
gtirron
-