The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

Ignition cut out "HELP / ADVICE"

Ignition cut out "HELP / ADVICE"

by spambot2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:29 am
Hi just wondered if anybody could help me out or some advice ? here's what happened

I haven't used my splitty for a good few months disconnect the battery when not in use. I had to take for MOT last week so I decided to put the battery charger onto the battery incase running low left on trickle charge overnight.

On the morning of MOT turned key and bus fired up no problem parked outside garage turned it off. Went back to bus turned ignition a click on key, nothing no ignition lights nothing ? went to back off van took of live feed from battery put back on fired up again no problem.

Once I got home turned ignition off turned key fired one after another no problem on starting? went out to van around 4 hours later to put back into garage exactly same thing again turned ignition a click on key again, nothing no ignition lights nothing ?

Possible battery on way out ?
ignition switch fault ?

just seems weird never had any issue with bus since owning in 12 Years, any ideas would be grateful

Cheers washy
spambot2
-

Re: Ignition cut out "HELP / ADVICE"

by richandsue » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:32 pm
had the exact same problem. turned out to be the live terminal at the starter motor. the one that is held with an m8 nut. was classed as a dry joint. and when the key was turned to ignition and then start, (with someone under the van looking as well) the joint on the starter motor flashed and shorted out, and became disconnected. was also told that the main live wire from front to back could also be failing due to age. new wire and cleaned up joint and been fine since,
richandsue
-

by ted698 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:34 pm
As above - also double check both your battery terminals are clean and tight.... and the battery earth lead to body too.
Classic poor connection symptoms under high load when going for the starter, that seem fine when on low load.
ted698
-

by spambot2 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:22 am
Brilliant cheers guys I'll check this out this weekend

:cheers:
spambot2
-

by chrystal » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:13 pm
richandsue wrote:
had the exact same problem. turned out to be the live terminal at the starter motor. the one that is held with an m8 nut. was classed as a dry joint. and when the key was turned to ignition and then start, (with someone under the van looking as well) the joint on the starter motor flashed and shorted out, and became disconnected. was also told that the main live wire from front to back could also be failing due to age. new wire and cleaned up joint and been fine since,

I had these problems sometimes. I bought a relay hot start from Peter Good which stopped the problems. Did you replace the wire from starter to ignition? Also told that the ignition barrel may be at fault
chrystal
-

by spambot2 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:26 am
chrystal wrote:
richandsue wrote:

I had these problems sometimes. I bought a relay hot start from Peter Good which stopped the problems. Did you replace the wire from starter to ignition? Also told that the ignition barrel may be at fault

Hi thanks for everybody's help, I first started with live terminal at the starter motor the one that is held with an m8 nut. Was most defiantly I would class as a dry joint cleaned up all joint seems to have been fine since. I did not replace the wire from starter to ignition all seemed in good order. Also checked ignition barrel no fault this end either.
spambot2
-