The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

what's the chances of matching up white?

what's the chances of matching up white?

by ernie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:03 pm
Looking to touch up the paint around my gutters a bit.

Previous owner does not know the colour scheme & tried to contact the owner before him but she didn't reply.

I know it's white, but how on earth am I supposed to know which shade of white it is?

tried a few colours from Halford, but can't get a decent match.

Any suggestions gratefully received...

ernie
-

Re: what's the chances of matching up white?

by JonnyCJ » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:20 pm
I believe that some body shops have a fancy camera that can "read" the pigment and analyse the exact colour.

Might be worth checking your local automotive paint supplier and seeing if they know much about such a beastie.

Let us know how you get on !

Cheers

Jonny
JonnyCJ
-

by beetleben » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:56 pm
Yes take it to the local car paint supplier or body shop, they'll have an electronic reader that'll match as best it can to the colour
beetleben
-

by malum » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:42 am
The paint analyzer (and it's certainly the way to go if you don't know what colour it is) will only match it to standard car colours. It won't tell them what to mix up to match your exact colour if it isn't a standard colour.
I had mine done and it matched the white very well. Mine is supposed to be cumulus white on top but isn't, it's much whiter. From the photo yours also looks much whiter than culmlus white.
The bottom colour of mine could not be matched with the anaylser (It's supposed to be Sea Blue) but was clearly mixed up with random colours to get close to Sea Blue. Non of their paints were close enough for a match.
malum
-

by ernie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:53 pm
I took the bus to my local paint shop to match up the colour of the green, but they couldn't get anywhere near it so haven;t got a lot of faith in those machines - especially for white as there are so many shades of white.

Suppose it's trial & error, but not cheap to keep spending a tenner on a pain mix up aerosol just to find its the wrong shade.
ernie
-

by nige1171 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:06 pm
Ade,

You need to find someone who will mix you some up by eye. Try Jawel Paint or similar, ring and ask them first and go when they are typically quiet and they don't mind spending half an hour with you to help you out.

They can start with a basic white and then add yellow/blue etc tones to it in small doses, holding it up to the bus til you're happy?

Nige
nige1171
-

by ernie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:08 pm
Wotcha Nige,

Went to Jawel to try & get some paint for my bay but didn;t find them very helpful as they hadn't got the code for the paint as it was too old!

there's a place called Colorwerx in Bordesley Green who mixed up the paint for it - so maybe I'll take the bus up there & see what they can do.

I suppose with white though if they get too much colour in it, there's no going back as you can;t make it whiter - probably need to start with a bright white and one it down a bit at a time.

Ade
ernie
-

by tufty65 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:22 pm
Don't know about white but I got some paint mixed by a paint shop as requested and they mixed me satin black not Matt black and I've just wasted 3 hours of my life spraying the wrong paint in my cab area.
Make sure you do a small test patch first when you get the match made up.
tufty65
-