The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

How to trailer a bus??

How to trailer a bus??

by 58and60 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:47 pm
I was talking to the Brian James (trailers) rep earlier and he assured me the best way to tow any rear engined vehicle is to reverse it on the trailer as too much weight at the rear end can cause swaying and fish tailing (that sort of thing!)

However I dont think I have ever seen a bus being trailered that way? What do those in the know believe, is it overkill or excellent advice. Reversing on to a trailer is not an ideal thought !!
58and60
-

Re: How to trailer a bus??

by big dave » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:44 pm
If its got the motor in it then I've always backed it on, if no motor it makes no difference.
The sway is worse the faster your going and this principle of having more weight behind the axle is true for any load on any trailer, I have seen trailers pull them selves and the tow car over, it has even caused fatalities.
So even if you just winch it up backwards, it's not that hard and got to be worth it

This is the go

big dave
-

by 58and60 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:04 pm
Thanks Dave, that seems pretty conclusive then doesnt it, backwards it is !!
58and60
-

by BusBug&KG » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:43 pm
At least that way when you look in the rear view mirror,you won't think your being tailgated by a split and go faster!!
Tony C
BusBug&KG
-

by wmk168 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 pm
Yes Always reverse a rear engine car on to the trailer,have the weight towbar end.
Once pick a T25 from Porthmadog ,turned up car trailer on the back of the Chevy drove the T25 on strapped it down and set off.
Hit 30 and the sway was horrific, removed T25 turned it round and happy days nice safe journey all the way home :)
One lesson learnt .
wmk168
-

by Nik » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 pm
I always put them on backwards.

But I also make doubly sure I have something spanning the front doors to keep them shut, so if no door cards, then a strap throught the inner webbing, if door cards and handles fitted inside, then a strap between these.

Probably overkill, but the thought of the body flexing, or the doors bursting off of the catches at 60mph doesn't bear thinking about (lots of bent metal and big bills to return the doors to their rightful angle and replace 90 degree twisted A pillars).

To pull the vehicle on I normally winch as it's more controllable, even if it'll move under its own steam.

To save any body or bumper damage, I have a large shackle that I place throught the gearbox rear mounting cradle and to which I attach the winch cable/strap, but a short strap through here, or chain, would do just as well. I'd probably avoid doubling the strap, or cable back and hooking it to itself as it could kink and snap or chafe where it passes over the edge of the cradle.

Me being OCD again, but when winching off I also attach a ratchet strap as a safety strap in case the winch lets go, skips cable snaps etc, but I have to winch on a slope to return non runners to my workshop so just used to it that way now.

Hope this helps mate.

Nik. :D
Nik
-

by snapy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:36 pm
58and60 wrote:
I was talking to the Brian James (trailers) rep earlier and he assured me the best way to tow any rear engined vehicle is to reverse it on the trailer as too much weight at the rear end can cause swaying and fish tailing (that sort of thing!)

However I dont think I have ever seen a bus being trailered that way? What do those in the know believe, is it overkill or excellent advice. Reversing on to a trailer is not an ideal thought !!

I suppose a Brian James trailer rep should know what he's talking about but for what it's worth I've trailered splits for a few years now on a regular basis (40/50 times a year).
I use two trailers and one will tow at 60mph all day long true and straight driven on front first and the other suffers a bit of sway over 40mph unless its reversed on.
So there's your answer, it depends on the tow vehicle/ trailer set up.

Ratchet straps on all four wheels or VOSA won't be your friend.
snapy
-

by e m p i » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 pm
What about on a fully enclosed trailer with twin axles? Reason I ask is because mine is being trailered about 200 miles on Monday. I'm sure the bloke doing it knows what he's doing though as he's more used to doing £1M vintage astons and bugatties and the like. Be a real treat for him to have my bus on the back again :lol:

Cheers, Lee.
e m p i
-

by big dave » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:08 am
snapy wrote:
58and60 wrote:

I suppose a Brian James trailer rep should know what he's talking about but for what it's worth I've trailered splits for a few years now on a regular basis (40/50 times a year).
I use two trailers and one will tow at 60mph all day long true and straight driven on front first and the other suffers a bit of sway over 40mph unless its reversed on.
So there's your answer, it depends on the tow vehicle/ trailer set up.

Ratchet straps on all four wheels or VOSA won't be your friend.

I imagine the axle spacing would be different in relation to the centre of the trailer, probably further back on the trailer that you tow them forward on. Meaning more of the bus is in front of the axle, enough to balance it. Basically you need more weight in front of the axle/s
big dave
-

by 58and60 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 pm
Nik wrote:
I always put them on backwards.

But I also make doubly sure I have something spanning the front doors to keep them shut, so if no door cards, then a strap throught the inner webbing, if door cards and handles fitted inside, then a strap between these.

Probably overkill, but the thought of the body flexing, or the doors bursting off of the catches at 60mph doesn't bear thinking about (lots of bent metal and big bills to return the doors to their rightful angle and replace 90 degree twisted A pillars).

To pull the vehicle on I normally winch as it's more controllable, even if it'll move under its own steam.

To save any body or bumper damage, I have a large shackle that I place throught the gearbox rear mounting cradle and to which I attach the winch cable/strap, but a short strap through here, or chain, would do just as well. I'd probably avoid doubling the strap, or cable back and hooking it to itself as it could kink and snap or chafe where it passes over the edge of the cradle.

Me being OCD again, but when winching off I also attach a ratchet strap as a safety strap in case the winch lets go, skips cable snaps etc, but I have to winch on a slope to return non runners to my workshop so just used to it that way now.

Hope this helps mate.

Nik. :D

It does help and sounds like my set up when reversing on. I use two webbing slings to go either side of the box around the cross beam and then back and clear of the bumper, this means they join together right in the centre of the bus and all force is distributed evenly and no body contact even on the lowered bus. Attach the slings to a shackle and on she or he goes via a 2 minute winch. Seems more controlable when on my own although when with others in the team driving on is not an issue. When lowering down, just tilt the trailer a little and let it roll off with reverse winch. On and off in 5 mins and no stress.
58and60
-

by tallandrew » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 pm
the balancing of the trailer is important. the wieght of the bus should be balanced so that its even across its axel or prehaps slightly biased to the front of the trailer. your tow hook is probably only rated to take 50kg of downward presure.

Also check the load capacity of your car/van can take more than the combined weight of trailer plus bus and what ever is inside the bus.

insure the trailer has its own brakes and that they are working and that the emergency brake cable is hooked seperately over the tow hook.

make sure you get some insurance. you towing car policy might not cover your load and a classic car policy might not cover it being towed. If you drop a bus in front of someone on the m40 and they have an acident you could loose the bus and have a big bill from someone else.
tallandrew
-