The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Music Options

Music Options

by Byron Bamboo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:58 am
Apologies if this has been covered before.

Been without music in my bus for a few years now and got round to getting back in some 6" speakers into the kick panels.

Thing is I don't want a head unit, happy for a USB/MP3 amp as all my music is on my phone. and don't need a radio.

I don't want anything massive and prefer something that would sit under the dash. Not keen on spending a fortune either, doesn't need to be loud as I like to hear what the bus is doing.

I've bought the £15 amps on ebay from Hong Kong and China but they aren't very good quality.

Anyone running this kind of setup? If so what amp are you running? and is there anything out there small enough to go under the dash, that's good quality?

Cheers

Deano
Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member

Re: Music Options

by Byron Bamboo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:46 pm
Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member

by dombutler » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:43 pm
well I had been thinking of using a bluetooth reciever (first trying a cheap one from eBay, about £3.50!!). This bluetooth receiver has a 3.5mm jack plug, and going to connect it to my amp.
I am worried about interference and low quality conversion. but I know there is a decent bluetooth receiver but it is £35. Going to use a switch under the dash to control the amp and receiver, its a bit low tech, but I had amp wired up to the ignition before and that was a pain, especially when parked up
The other option I have considered is a mechless head unit, they are pretty cheap these days.
dombutler

by clymoj » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:21 pm
I presume you've considered the tool chest, spare wheel well or against the bulkhead behind the front seats for your amp?

For switches I had one mounted to the slot in the steering column support. Flicked it on when starting but could have it separate to the ignition.

I've come across compact brick amps like the Alpine KTP-445U which seem to do what you're after but I couldn't tell you if they're worth the money.

Some like the pioneer equivalent seem to have auto-on features that save needing a switch.
clymoj

by Byron Bamboo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:16 am
Hadn't heard of mechless unit, could mount one under the seat as they are controllable all from the phone. I don't ever use the tool box for anything. Would need a switch as you say just to turn it on and off.

Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member

by robmargel » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:07 am
The previous owner of my bus put an amp on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat as Clymoj suggests. As far as I can tell it runs of the leisure battery and has an inline switch to turn on and off. Perfect for just plugging in an Ipod or similar. Can look up the make and model if required...

However adding to this thread I would love to add a DAB radio of some sort to this setup, anyone got any suggestions?

Rob
robmargel
SSVC Member

by clymoj » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:41 am
robmargel wrote:The previous owner of my bus put an amp on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat as Clymoj suggests. As far as I can tell it runs of the leisure battery and has an inline switch to turn on and off. Perfect for just plugging in an Ipod or similar. Can look up the make and model if required...

However adding to this thread I would love to add a DAB radio of some sort to this setup, anyone got any suggestions?

Rob

Alpine EZI-Dab.

I bought one off ebay before I took my bus off the road for a resto so never fitted it but plan was to fit it between iphone and amp to use as both an ipod controller and a dab radio.

All nice and discreet so nothing clogging up your period dashboard. The control screen/knob is on a usb cable so you can extend / put it anywhere you like.

Just got to sort the volume then so either your amp has one or you need an inline volume knob. Quality can really vary on these so read reviews and buy carefully. I think this is the one I was going to buy:

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remote-A ... B0002J226O

You could remove the knob and mount through the dashboard with a splitty style one on instead if you want to be super-discreet; or get an old broken blaupunkt and mount it behind one of the existing knobs.

Downsides I can see with this setup are no EQ and no remote for when you're lying in bed.
clymoj

by robmargel » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:46 pm
I had seen those but had thought I needed a head unit for it link to, hadn't realised I could plug direct into amp...
robmargel
SSVC Member

by Byron Bamboo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:12 pm
clymoj wrote:
robmargel wrote:The previous owner of my bus put an amp on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat as Clymoj suggests. As far as I can tell it runs of the leisure battery and has an inline switch to turn on and off. Perfect for just plugging in an Ipod or similar. Can look up the make and model if required...

Rob

Alpine EZI-Dab.

I bought one off ebay before I took my bus off the road for a resto so never fitted it but plan was to fit it between iphone and amp to use as both an ipod controller and a dab radio.

All nice and discreet so nothing clogging up your period dashboard. The control screen/knob is on a usb cable so you can extend / put it anywhere you like.

Just got to sort the volume then so either your amp has one or you need an inline volume knob. Quality can really vary on these so read reviews and buy carefully. I think this is the one I was going to buy:

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remote-A ... B0002J226O

You could remove the knob and mount through the dashboard with a splitty style one on instead if you want to be super-discreet; or get an old broken blaupunkt and mount it behind one of the existing knobs.

Downsides I can see with this setup are no EQ and no remote for when you're lying in bed.

So you have this connected to an amp which is hidden away.

Can you then run your phone through a USB cable and that's it!? Interesting!

Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member

by clymoj » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:51 pm
Byron Bamboo wrote:So you have this connected to an amp which is hidden away.

Can you then run your phone through a USB cable and that's it!? Interesting!

I don't but that was my plan, yes. The ezi-dab has a usb input for controlling iphones/ipods and some other phones and mp3 players - not sure which ones?

The sound output socket looks a little underweight compared to what you normally see on a serious audiophile product but it's alpine so I'm sure they know what they're doing.
clymoj