The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Full fuel pipe replacement and upgrade

Full fuel pipe replacement and upgrade

by All Torque » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:28 am
Hi Guys, I'm new here, please be gentle!

Following on from all the fires you hear and read about I wish to replace all my fuel lines, from tank to carbs etc. and naturally I'm going for the SAE J30 R9 Codan stuff.

Questions as follows. The feed directly from the tank, can this be accessed easily from underneath to attach the new pipe or is it an engine out job to gain access? Does anyone have a link to share featuring the whole or some of the process?

Also, I'm running 2 Dellorto carbs which have larger bore feed inlets than the tank, pump etc., how do you guys usually and safely get around this challenge? I'm reading differing views.

Thanks in advance
AT
All Torque

Re: Full fuel pipe replacement and upgrade

by type21f » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:37 am
Fit 8mm feed and new washer from the tank through fuel cut off valve alloy bodied ceramic filter to electric pump. Pressure regulator to T...8mm all through. .
Not what I did but what I will do next time.
I have mechanical pimp and had high pressure and had to shorten shaft.
Have 8mm and stepper to 5.6 for mech pump..
Next time..next time ..
type21f
SSVC Member

by All Torque » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:04 am
Thanks 21f, I want to retain the stock pump as I would like to keep my engine bay looking stock(ish).

Fuel cut off valve is a great shout, but where would it best be fitted? If I fitted a mechanical switch I'd have to turn it off, so assuming the worse and my bus is now on fire I won't want to venture into the engine bay to activate it. If I went down the electric route, again assuming the worse, I'm on fire, I run the risk of the power feed or the pump already having melted and rendering the 'on' switch useless.

I do appreciate there are a number of fire suppression kits available, however I'd like to stay stock hence this important upgrade.
All Torque

by type21f » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:25 am
Sent PM.
Have valve and filter not in engine bay...
type21f
SSVC Member

by flatbeat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:03 pm
You can use a plastic in line filter to step up...or down in fuel pipe size as the inlet/outlet is stepped for 6mm and 8mm. Keeps it simple :)
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by readyboy61 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 pm
Use your mechanical pump and fit a filterking which is a pressure regulator and fuel filter no need for an electronic pump or to shorten the rod, what a dumb thing to do
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by type21f » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:31 pm
mmm that is a good idea. ..but..
I do not like filters on the engine bay. ..
But could be a reasonable excuse investigation ahead. .
Cheers. .
Most good ideas are simple. ..
type21f
SSVC Member