The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Oil filter, what do you use

Oil filter, what do you use

by readyboy61 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:47 am
Ive been using a FRAM PH2870A on my old setup witrh the filter head straight off the pump. Ive now gone full flow and wondered what filters are good or should i just stick with what ive used. HP1 seems to get slated now and are expensive and on back order at most places, alternative?

Ive been looking at a genuine vw filter 056115561G
readyboy61
SSVC Member

Re: Oil filter, what do you use

by TLM2106 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:50 am
Used these for last couple of years. Good quality, handy nut welded to bottom of canister so you can get a socket on there for easy removal.
FRAM HP1's are stupidly expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-3001-K-N-O ... 372wt_1006
TLM2106

by type21f » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:02 am
I do not understand the interchangeability of screw on remote filters....
I see on the advert that the same looking filter is sold for all different marques. .
How do these differ?
I understand the filter heads are made by different people but do the threads on the bodies differ.
Last time I looked at these...They were head specific..
Apart from trial and error are the threads standard?

I see two standards 3/4" - 16 and 13/16" - 16 thread sizes but only specified on the filter heads. .
But on buying filters. ....
type21f
SSVC Member

by readyboy61 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 pm
Thats why i asked its a bit of a mine field, i wonder if its to do with oil viscocity and available space size to fit it and how much filter area there is which is required by different manufactures becuase of service intervals? i think some have an anti drain back valvle buit in also
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by type21f » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:30 pm
I have a remote filter mounting head and have not looked at it closely!
I know because I wanted to mount it vertically and did not want 90 degree elbows into the filter it was mounted on a bracket and the filter body is short.
Despite being aware of the low height it was a proprietary part from USA engine builder.
Only now when I am approaching first running in oil change did I remember I did not check on the dimensions.
I know the bodies are generally 2 5/8 " seal size..but it was only when I looked did I realise that there were other thread sizes. .
You can go on the KN site and get the dimensions of each filter but the site is designed for selecting an aftermarket filter to suit your car.
Our choice is based on remote filter body head thread and accessibility. .
I just did not want to get one and find I got the wrong one. .
I wanted mine as a "ready for when I need it " spare.
The K & N range is wide but I cannot find a spec sheet based on technical data..

G
type21f
SSVC Member

by Hongkongphooey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:21 pm
The K&N HP3001 as above, the HP1 have gone downhill in quality and up in price, there were quite a few recommendations for the K&N as a direct alternative.
Hongkongphooey

by e m p i » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:57 pm
I use one from a VW main agent. Can't remember what it's for but I just give them the part number and get them 2 at a tine so I've always got a spare. Mine are quite big though. Think "party seven" :lol: (joke for the old fellas there). Actually they're nit really as big as that, more like slightly bigger than a normal size can of beans.

Cheers, Lee
e m p i

by vwJim » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:21 pm
I use either the K&N, or Wix, or a Mann filter for a Golf.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member