The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Engine cut out and no ignition lights!

Engine cut out and no ignition lights!

by carlosfandango » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:36 am
Hi all, I hope you can help...

Last night I was driving home (about 10 miles) all was running perfectly, but then I stopped at some traffic lights and after a minute or so of idling the engine just stopped. I tried to turn it over, but the dash lights wouldn't even come on!

I drive a 67 split screen camper and I know the ignition runs through the headlight switch which was replaced when this happened before, but now everything seems fine with that. the only slightly odd thing that was going on is that one headlight seemed really dim and the middle warning light on the speedo was very slighty glowing.

Any thoughts as to where to start would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Carl
carlosfandango

Re: Engine cut out and no ignition lights!

by richandsue » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:47 am
sounds like fuse or earth conection related, possibly the laege main feed from battery to starter motor. can be a poor conection at solenoid.
richandsue
SSVC Member

by carlosfandango » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:20 pm
Thanks for that... Not sure if this will give more info... Have just connected a booster pack and she started up ok, but still showed no warning lights. Took the pack off again and absolutely nothing again
carlosfandango

by richandsue » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:40 pm
seems very odd, thought you would have had the ignition lights with the booster. put a voltage tester across the battery terminals, check the voltage. should be around 12.8, then get someone to turn the key to start the bus and see what the reading is then, if there is a significant drop in volts ie below 12, then battery has dead cells and will not recover. but still does not explain the lack of lights.
richandsue
SSVC Member

by carlosfandango » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:34 pm
just tested the battery... Completely fried I guess as it read 11.08v. going to get new one now.

Thanks
carlosfandango

by Eternal Optimist » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:12 pm
Try charging it first. Your problem may not be the battery.
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member

by richandsue » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:25 pm
will your engine run without the booster on. if so with engine running test the battery again and rev the engine, volts should go up 13 or 14v showing alternator/dynamo are charging.
richandsue
SSVC Member

by carlosfandango » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:05 pm
Just tried that... Volts didn't change so I guess the alternator is shot. Would that cause the ignition lights to fail though?
carlosfandango

by richandsue » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:33 pm
no, lights should still work, battery and alternator could be ok, could be the wiring to the alternator and to front of bus, as dash lights don't work either. think you need to do continuity checks on a lot of your loom to check for broken wires.
richandsue
SSVC Member

by richandsue » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:40 pm
just a thought with the engine running put your tester on the positive of the alternator (large 13mm nut) and to earth if volts read 13 or above alternator is working fine.
richandsue
SSVC Member

by carlosfandango » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:19 pm
That's what I did... It read 12.3 or something similar

Thanks
carlosfandango

by carlosfandango » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:52 am
Thanks for all the help... Loose connection behind the speedo stopped idiot lights coming on and if the generator light doesn't come on the alternator doesn't charge.

All sorted now!

:)
carlosfandango