The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Suppliers of front lower trailing arms for narrowed

Suppliers of front lower trailing arms for narrowed

by PIPKIN » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:14 pm
Unfortunately my bus has just failed its MOT for a snapped lower shock absorber fixing. Does anyone know who can supply replacement lower trailing arms that have been machined for a narrowed beam?

This is a bit of a rush job as we are using the bus to go to spain in 2 weeks.

Cheers for your comments in advance.

Paul
PIPKIN

Re: Suppliers of front lower trailing arms for narrowed

by Hongkongphooey » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:24 pm
Machined for a narrow beam? not sure I follow.... How Narrow is your beam? and is it early/late/bay etc, may be someone with something, Maybe worth trying Creative Engineering to see if they have something, or if it is just the lower stud for the shock then maybe a local machine shop to drill that out and insert a new piece? just a thought.
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member

by PIPKIN » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:41 pm
Thanks HongKongphooey,

The bus is a 62 and I seem to remember that the lower stud mounting needs to be machined to maintain the shock in a vertical position. The link below may help;

http://paulssplit.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0 ... for-4.html

Cheers Paul
PIPKIN

by Hongkongphooey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:05 am
I see, that makes much more sense :oops: , It definately looks like a local machine shop is going to be your best escape route for a quick turn round on that one... especially if this procedure has been carried out in the past, should just be a case of knocking out the roll pin, an easiout to get the broken bit out then to machine up a new 'insert' to pin back in place.

Hope you get it sorted in time for Spain...
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member

by maddison » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:28 am
I think modifying the lower trailing arm is overkill

(and you have the evidence its weaker, as yours is now mashed)

the rubbers in the shock should have enough flex for small changes in angle, I certainly never had a problem running standard trailing arms on a 4 inch narrowed beam

I have a set of un b@st4rdised early trailing arms for sale if you need a set
maddison
SSVC Member

by PIPKIN » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 am
Thanks for the comments, all sorted now in a pain free manner.

Managed to sort it myself with the use of the existing components and the use of the workshop at work.

Will be looking at the real need for modified bottom trailing arms as maddison has a very valid point, the reduction in amount of housing for the stud in the lower trailing arm has caused the problem.

Cheers

Paul
PIPKIN

by gazmate » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 pm
Paul what did you do to repair your trailing arm? I need to do mine. On the way to spa my bottom shock nut came loose and allowed the shock to move sideways and pull the shock mount out of the trailing arm and destroyed the thread.

I am looking to repair it or failing this buy a Nearside lower trailing arm for a narrowed beam.

Cheers gary
gazmate

by vwJim » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:14 pm
There's two ways of doing it.

One is to remove the existing pin, narrower the arm and then drill / tap the arm to take a bolt.

I prefer to machine up a new stud which is screwed in and secured with a pin, just like factory.

I don't see why it would be any weaker than factory, as the stud is still the same depth into the arm. No undue stress on the shock rubbers. No clearance issue between then shock / upper arm / beam mounting points.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member