The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Lost 4th gear from beneath gearstick (cab end)

Lost 4th gear from beneath gearstick (cab end)

by 58splitty » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:15 pm
Hi,

I have just started to loose 4th gear and have just had a look under the camper cabin floor at whats happening when i change gear. I have noticed that the ball of the gear stick is jumping out of the cup, hence random 4th gear. It has a quik shift. Is this just a matter of moving the position of the st k slightly from inside the cab?
58splitty

Re: Lost 4th gear from beneath gearstick (cab end)

by ted698 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:17 pm
It should have a big cone shaped spring on the gearlever above the ball to prevent this.... do you have this?
It may just need the stop plate adjusting again, in case its moved...
See here: http://www.vw-resource.com/stop_plate.html
ted698
SSVC Member

by 58splitty » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:04 pm
the spring cone sits on the inside on top of the stop plate. I just took the quik shift of and when bolted back together it stopped working altogether, guess it needs a different gear stick or put the quik shift back on
58splitty

by 58splitty » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:23 pm
Fixed it today, i sliced 5mm from the top of the quik shift so the ball sunk deeper in the cup. Its bullet proof now.

Well done me :-)
58splitty