The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Gearbox axle knocking

Gearbox axle knocking

by aitkindrum » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:11 pm
Folks
Am currently in angers, franc and due to head for Nantes.
The bus has been making a knocking sound for a while at slow pace, traffic lights, toll booth etc, which I put down to loose front wheel bearing (resolved), slight play in front king pin (now on the to do list), but more recent investigation revealed likely rear near side related.
Bus has redux boxes with gearbox rebuilt with taller ring and pinion.otherwise pretty standard.
If bus is rocked side to side there is movement laterally of the axle housing and the gearbox. Obviously can't see inside due to boot.
Have checked other side and there is no movement laterally at the same point.
Doesn't appear play in either wheel bearing. All replaced couple years ago.
So - what are my options? Would seem this is cause of knocking each rotation of wheel at slow speed.
I have split redux box before but don't have manual, many tools or confort of home garage.
Likely to last or need resolving?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Ada
aitkindrum

Re: Gearbox axle knocking

by vwJim » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:13 pm
As a quick check, make sure spring plate bolts are tight.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by aitkindrum » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:27 pm
Cheers Jim
Yep tight and no movement
At the inner boot probably moves about 1/2 inch.
T'other side doesn't move
aitkindrum

by aitkindrum » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:45 pm
Do I carry on?
Is it supposed to move so much compared to t'other side?
aitkindrum

by vwJim » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:02 pm
Inner boot? Do you mean the gaiter moves, or the tube and everything moves? Sounds completely knackered.

The gaiter that's at the side of the gearbox clamps to the axle tube at the small end of the gaiter and the retainer cover at the other. It shouldn't move laterally at all. I suprised it hasn't dumped all the oil out.

Though, saying that. Are you 100% sure you're not talking about an IRS converted bus? IRS axles can move in and out / they have boots.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by vwJim » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 pm
Just found your thread about red' box leaks, so you're not IRS....

Can you get a photo of what bit is moving?

Only thing I can think of at present is if the end of the axle tube has snapped off. The axle outer tube and the gaiter should pivot but not move laterally
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by aitkindrum » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:21 am
yep it's def the axle outer tube moves laterally at the gearbox. This means the wheel can also move laterally the same amount.
Have done several hundred miles on it so far.
Know of any likeminded garages in Nantes area?
Cheers Jim
Will get a photo to be sure.
aitkindrum

by aitkindrum » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:01 am
Am I correct in thinking the outer sleeve is articulated and fixed to the gearbox, with the articulated joint surrounded by gaitor? To prevent oil escape.
If so this joint must be broken.
aitkindrum

by vwJim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:58 am
On the end of the outer tube there is a "dome" shape, which is held in position by the retaining plate, which the gaiter attached too.

Inside the dome, there is a plastic spacer, only a few mm thick, then the gearbox. The domes pivot on each other like a ball in a socket.

If the outer tubes are moving a tiny amount, it could be just badly set up, but if the tube is moving freely by the amount you said, (but the retainer is solid), then I think the axle tube has snapped off the end "dome".

If that is correct, you don't have anything keeping the wheel in the correct place other than the spring plate and that can flex laterally too easily so the inner axle circlip with the gearbox will be experiencing lateral forces is not designed to withstand.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by vwJim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:07 am
This guy might be able to help...

I'm heading down to our place in Central France next week until the 1st week of September. For anyone who has a (mechanical not nervous) breakdown/needs help or needs someone to try to organize parts or advice, please feel free to give me a call. We are located about 2 hours south of Paris.

Dan Seelig
Les Chichards
18250 Humbligny
France
+33(0)248794654
+31(0)631003811
seeligdan@hotmail.com

Give me a call if you're in the area and you're welcome to come round for a drink.

Enjoy the summer.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by vwJim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:11 am
Or there's a place south of you on here.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... iZ14tp5WiI
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by BJ1 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:19 am
I agree with Jim - the outer axle tube has sheared wher it joins the 'domed' part. It might be possible to weld it back on in situ as a temporary fix, but there is a lot of oil there so a fire risk. Suggest draining all oil from gearbox, remove boot and use brake cleaner to wash oil from broken part. Welding needs to be done quickly with quenching between welds so you don't melt the plastic spacer behind. I would take the bus to a local agricultural engineer as in my experience in France, they are often better than garages for this kind of work.
BJ1
SSVC Member

by aitkindrum » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:19 am
Appreciate the replies and the descriptions
Using the map link to highway vw led me to an air cooled garage list in French.
Previous searches have been unsuccessful as I neglected to include other country's in the Google search settings.
There are a couple of garages near Nantes (my wife catches a flight tomorrow) so I will limp there and try my luck.
The website garage list I used to search was from
http://aircooledshop.e-monsite.com/pages/annuaire/
Might be worth adding to the garage sticky?
Will let you know how I get on.
Fingers crossed and thanks again.
Ada
aitkindrum

by vwJim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:35 am
Good luck, if they have access to a spare reduction box / axle tube then its not that major job when you have the tools.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by aitkindrum » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:48 am
Once wheel backing plate etc is stripped from spring plate - can the axle tube be removed from the gearbox by the retaking plate. I assume the gearbox doesn't need removing?
Ta
aitkindrum