The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Good place to take bus for resto in South devon

Good place to take bus for resto in South devon

by knightj05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:13 am
Hi

I have a 63 splitscreen sundial which I would like to undertake a full bare metal body resto on and need advice who to take it to. Potentially I can deliver bus as a shell and restore components myself. I am based in Exeter so South Devon or Cornwall would be ideal. I have tried ringing a few places but find it hard to get people on the phone.

Help would be really appreciated!!

Also if anyone has ball parks of rough guide how much welding not a horrendous amount of panels on as its solid bus strip and paint would cost. I am hoping may be able for 7k but want to know if I am dreaming!!!
knightj05

Re: Good place to take bus for resto in South devon

by lids_2001 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:54 am
Smithsvw wadebridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lids_2001
SSVC Member

by knightj05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:29 am
Thanks I would love for it to go there but he's tied up with big projects until end 2017.

He was my first choice :cry:
knightj05

by clymoj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:14 am
Trailer Queens also have a good name in that area. Not cheap. Autostyl used to turn out some nice cars too.

If you're prepared to travel then more options open up: Irvs, Dave Haywood etc.

Also consider separate people for welding and paint. Downside is it's more hassle moving and project managing it but you want your welder to know splits, whereas you can get anyone to paint it.

Cost depends on how much rot you find, how well you repair it and how good you want your paint.

E.g. I found pinholes in my rear bulkhead after blasting. Looked completely solid before but now needs replacing.

E.g. my front valance was wrongly repaired in the past. Could have left it but wanted it done properly so had it cut out and a new one put in. Only a few hundred quid in parts and labour but multiply this across each area and it all adds up.

Once it's welded, for paint you can pay what you like: £2k will get it covered in paint, £4-6k will look nice, £8-10k will win prizes.
clymoj

by lids_2001 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:37 am
Another option is an hour north to south Bristol. http://www.blastingdiepast.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lids_2001
SSVC Member

by Choc » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:49 am
Bobs ya' man down that neck of the woods, Top Bloke! :D

https://www.facebook.com/resto.haus

bob@mrbojangles-vwhire.co.uk
Choc
SSVC Member

by knightj05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:27 pm
Thanks for all the advice!! In an ideal world I would like to get it to them have body in terms of metal to very high standard and very good paint job with the van at least rolling so easier to transport. I know some of the panels that need doing as its on the ramp at min but there will always be more.

Any other ideas keep them coming !

Many thanks

This site is so helpfull as I am new to vw splitscreens!
knightj05

by knightj05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:32 pm
Hi choc, so you rate bobs work then? I will have to give him a call
knightj05

by Biglozzer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:46 pm
My two penneth.
If a Resto company can do your bus with less than 2 months notice if worry why. Good ones like those mentioned will be booked up way in advance.

You said you'd pay £7k for a very good paint job and welding in some panels. I'd say if your paying someone else to do all the welding and paint prep work you'll have to budget for a lot more than that. Just the prep work from welding to base coats and prep works out at many many hours so your £7k budget will go quickly. If your going to do it, do it once do it properly. It might cost more but it will mean you don't have to redo it all in 3 years time. Matt smith is booked months in advance and is not cheap but there is a reason for that.
Good luck with your project. Make sure you start a Resto thread if you go down this route.
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by matt d » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:19 pm
Resto Shack (Exeter) are apparently putting out some very good work but I have no experience with them personally. They have a website and are on Facebook.
matt d

by knightj05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:09 pm
Thanks for the comments I understand that there will be waiting times for good people, just the Mrs won't allow me to start it in 2017 else it would be going to Mr smith. Resto shacks work does look good, he's booked up for two years two but we are discussing things as he is taking more staff on for prep due to demand. Nothing firm as I just starting to plan. Good news is I finished 944 front brake conversion so it has brakes and can drive it for the first time!
knightj05

by knightj05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:11 pm
Also I don't have an exact budget just trying to get a feel if it could go north of 10k
knightj05

by Claushema » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:47 am
Whilst in Cornwall for a visit after this years OCD, I visited Smiths and also Evil Bens who are near Truro.

http://evilbens.co.uk/

Looked like they were doing some good stuff. Maybe give them a ring
Claushema
SSVC Member

by knightj05 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 am
Good thinking on evil bens, I didn't realise he was in Cornwall ! Thanks
knightj05