The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Upper cargo hinge mount repair

Upper cargo hinge mount repair

by Biglozzer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:55 pm
Can someone help point me in the right direction.
I've previously seen a thread with pictures covering a repair to the upper cargo door hinge mount on the B and C post. The threaded fixing plate located inside the post. From memory the SSVC member had cut open the post to replace the threaded retaining bracket before welding closed. I'd like to find the thread and pics again before tackling mine but after over two hours searching I can't find the thread anymore.

I need to replace both upper mounts on my 59 project as I had to drill out the hinge as it was never coming away despite heat etc.

Any help much appreciated as always.
Loz
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

Re: Upper cargo hinge mount repair

by Biglozzer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:47 am
Anyone help?
I know I've seen this repair on someone's thread in projects some time ago but I can't find it now.
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by Crooky » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:52 pm
Loz have you lost the plate inside the B/C post or have you just drilled the thread out to remove the door?
Crooky
SSVC Member

by Biglozzer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:34 pm
I've had to drill out the rusted screws and I may be able to re thread the original plate but if I can't I'll need to replace the inner threaded plate.
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by Crooky » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:02 pm
Mate I've done a lot of digging for you and only really managed to establish that you want to do all in your power to tap a new thread. Either way you've got to try this method first as the only alternative seems to be cutting into your post.

That said it wouldn't be hard to cut a rectangular slot into the post just sufficient to secure a new retaining plate inside the post. Then just a case of welding the rectangular cut back into place. Bit of a faff but not the end of the world.

PMA :D

You probably know all this but if it was me I'd stick another bolt in through the hole you're not working on or something to hold the plate up up just in case it ends up dropping into the post while you're tapping through.

Piece of cake for you mate now get tapping.
Crooky
SSVC Member

by Biglozzer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:34 pm
Thank mate. I recall seeing a guy have to do the repair and I think he cut a peep hole and bent it back, repaired the plate and then welded the OG metal back. It had pics of each stage. I'm hoping that I can re thread the old plate and not need to replace. Its one of those jobs that will take hours and have very little to show for all the effort.

However, its getting there and will now be moving onto the front wheel tubs, doglegs and cab floor. Then the bus just might start looking like a real bus again! :)
Catch you soon
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by rusty1962 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:31 pm
Biglozzer wrote: Its one of those jobs that will take hours and have very little to show for all the effort.

I know exactly what you mean!
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by susta » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:54 pm
mmm, with moving the bus around it would appear the captive plate!! in the lower C post has gone!! anybody tried making a new one and threading it back up. I'm all in paint but not in despair, but know when the seals go in the top hinge won't cope and the gaps, well you can imagine

Steve
susta
SSVC Member