The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Top quality front brake shoes.

Top quality front brake shoes.

by splitintwo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:47 am
Hi,

When overhauled my brakes I noticed that my original set were a lot thicker than the new pair even though they were used.
The previous set didn't last very well,(wish I'd used the old ones)
So my question is who sells top quality shoes, or shall I use my old ones I know you''re not advised to....

Thanks
splitintwo

Re: Top quality front brake shoes.

by ted698 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:55 pm
Someone on facebook was inquiring who sold OEM ATE shoes the other week - facebook being facebook that is now impossible to find.....(!)
I fitted a new set of front shoes earlier in the summer from GSF - and they squeal worse than a stuck pig if you even go near the brake pedal, I think they must be mostly metal filler and virtually no fiction material - racked around with them now multiple times, cleaning them, sanding them, cleaning ghr dust out but now at the point where driving the bus has become a major embarrassment - the brakes were fine beforehand (really wish I hadn't changed them now, they just had a bit of grease on them, should have just cleaned them up) so after a decent set of ATE set shoes myself if they are available

Cheers

N.B Avoid the GSF ones!!!
ted698
SSVC Member

by flatbeat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:04 pm
I picked up some Brembo shoes from GSF. Never had a problem with Brembo in the past.......
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by BJ1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06 am
WHS ^^^^ Brembo are fine. You often find that new shoes squeal before they bed in to the curve of the drum. You can sort this by holding them up to the drum and then sanding them to fit exactly to the drum curve. Wear a mask though - they don't have asbestos these days but who knows what the replacemnet stuff is like in the lungs?
BJ1
SSVC Member