The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Headlight Flasher on indicator stalk (1967)

Headlight Flasher on indicator stalk (1967)

by Karmann » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:17 pm
Hi

Can someone confirm the operation of the stalk mounted headlight flasher on my 1967 splittie. Basically it only works when my lights are on and just switches between low and high beam. Nothing happens when I operate the flasher with the lights are off. Is this correct or should I be able to flash the headlamps even when the lights are off like a modern car?

Many thanks
Karmann

Re: Headlight Flasher on indicator stalk (1967)

by amd » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 pm
Flasher is only pull it to turn on & quickly pull it again to turn off on mine, like yours only works if lights on.
amd

by Karmann » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:18 am
Thanks amd, that is what I suspected. Just fitted a new loom and first time I've had any electrics working so wanted to check it is operating as it should.
Karmann

by type21f » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:29 am
I think we all forget. ..
The function was only designed to dip and raise the headlights...
The use of the headlights to flash is something we take as a modern "signal".but IIRC the highway code says do not do it!

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully

I am used to putting my foot on the brake pedal ignition off to light the brake lights to check them but my split needs the ignition on..
I think this was also how they were designed. .
type21f
SSVC Member

by BJ1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 pm
The flasher function only works if there is a permanent live feed to the relay. US buses, including bays, were not fitted with this feed so the flasher didn't work when the lights were off. Some Euro buses were also wired like this. It's easy to fit a live feed to the relay providing you have the right 5 prong relay installed. I've just done this to couple of bays and a split. Look at the relay wiring in this list to identify the terminals.
http://www.jbugs.com/VW-Tech-Article-Headlight-Switches.html
Look at Euro wiring diagrams on the Samba for the additional live feed info.
BJ1
SSVC Member

by Karmann » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:24 pm
Thanks BJ1... I'll have a look into that, sounds like a fairly simple and useful mod.
Also agree with what you are saying type21f but being able to flash the lights would be handy in the modern driving world.
Thank you both for your replies
Karmann