The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Warm earth strap. Connection corroded

Warm earth strap. Connection corroded

by wilgartw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 pm
Had an issue today with the van. After travelling for 40 mins she Just died, and wouldn't restart. Luckily we pulled into an empty car park.

It is possible that my fuel gauge is playing up so we got a can of petrol. petrol in and it was trying to start, the odd time it would try and catch, but never run.

whilst I was troubleshooting I noticed the earth strap was warm, not hot. But then it was 30-40 mins since we stopped.

The copper connector was corroded (green). So I took it off and put on a spare (yes I was carrying one). It started , and I did 150 further miles with no issues.

My question is - Would the earth strap getting hot reduce the connection voltage so much that it wouldn't get a good enough spark? Are the symptoms I experienced in line with this diagnosis?

I will obviously give it a good going over tomorrow, is there anything else I should / could do? I seem to remember my grandad putting grease /petroleum jelly on his battery connectors, was this to stop the corrosion?
wilgartw

Re: Warm earth strap. Connection corroded

by type21f » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:38 pm
....or ensure connectivity.....
The final frontier. .
type21f
SSVC Member