The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

anyone managed to get reprop bumper trims to fit?

anyone managed to get reprop bumper trims to fit?

by ernie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:03 pm
Hi all,

Just bought some rear bumper trims for my US spec bumpers.

They are repro ones and a long way off fitting my bumper.

No reflection on the guy I bought them off as it's not his fault ( I am trying to find out who the manufacturer was).

If I hold the 'front' end up to the bumper, the curve round the bumper is ok, but instead of the trim continuing to curve inwards to match the bumper profile, the last 4 inches or so actually curve out, as it approaches the over-rider - hope this makes sense - will have to get some photo's up to show you what I mean.

I realise that most repro stuff is total crap, but whoever made them appears to have been guessing at the bumper profile.

Just wondered if anyone had the same issues & whether they had managed to curve the trim inwards sufficiently to get it to fit (I assume heat will be needed).

Thanks.
ernie

Re: anyone managed to get reprop bumper trims to fit?

by monkey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:19 am
Ernie, are you talking about deluxe bumper trims? If so, no, they never fit and you do need to gently bend them to the exact curve of the bumper. I had to gentle bend mine to get the fit right, no need for heat as they are Ali and soft, but they did come good in the end.

If you don't mean these, please let me know, the only other thing I can think you mean are the towel rails? I also had issues with getting mine to fit nicely as well.
monkey

Re: anyone managed to get reprop bumper trims to fit?

by ernie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:54 pm
Hi Monkey,

Sorry mate, yes I meant the deluxe trims - glad to hear that they bend ok.

Looking forward to fitting them, but gonna get the father-in-law on the job with me as he is pretty good at that sort of thinkg.

Cheers
ernie