The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

anyone got CB performance beam with 3.5 inch dropped spindles?

anyone got CB performance beam with 3.5 inch dropped spindles?

by ernie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:25 pm
Hi all,

I've currently got a 2" narrowed CB Performance beam (at least that's what I think it is) but I don't think I can fit 3.5" dropped spindles on without it being too low - I have got the beam up as high as it will go on the adjusters and want dropped spindles to improve ride quality.

Just wondered if anyone has this combination & how low it makes the front of the bus - a photo would be very useful.

2.5 inch dropped spindles would be ideal. but i've heard that you can only get 3.5 inch drop (although I have seen some buses advertised for sale with 2.5 inch dropped spindles mentioned in the adverts?

Many thanks.
ernie

Re: anyone got CB performance beam with 3.5 inch dropped spindles?

by 8 8US » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:40 am
Ade

Take a look at this thread:-

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=112310

I have 3.5" drop spindles and the same Gaz coilovers and you can lift to any height you want.

Probably at Busfest on Sunday if you want to take a look.

Richard
8 8US
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:49 am
I do, and it was too low for me now we have a family and therefore are more loaded.

I cut the adjusters off and rewelded them back on so I could raise it up a bit. I seem to remember having to clearance the upper parts so they didn't hit the shift rod.
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by JonnyCJ » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:34 pm
8 8US wrote:Ade

Take a look at this thread:-

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=112310

I have 3.5" drop spindles and the same Gaz coilovers and you can lift to any height you want.

Probably at Busfest on Sunday if you want to take a look.

Richard

Turns out I can actually retain the dropped spindles on mine and use the Gaz coilovers to get the right height. There's no need to cut and move the beam adjuster either as I can raise the beam adjuster for clearance (lowering the bus further) then get the exact height I want on coilovers.

Happy days !
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by ernie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:37 am
Thanks guys - My only issue with coilovers is that I have heard they harden up the ride again, defeating the object of using dropped spindles to soften the ride from just the beam adjusters!

Richard - would love to take a look at your set up mate, but I can only get to Busfest on Saturday.

You are only in Wolvo (I am in Solihull), so will have to try & get up there to take a look at some point.

Cheers,

Ade
ernie

by JonnyCJ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:15 pm
Can you not just pop in a spring that suits your requirements - hard ride, soft ride etc ?

Maddy will no doubt advise in a min or two :-)
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member