The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Fitting a vintage speed shifter

Fitting a vintage speed shifter

by monkey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:45 pm
Just a quick question regarding the vinatge speed shifter I have.

For later buses they require the installation of a spacer plate underneath them. Does the spacer late sit on top of the reverse lock out plate, or does that go on top of the spacer plate?

Thanks for clarifying.
monkey

Re: Fitting a vintage speed shifter

by split999 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:13 pm
The spacer I believe goes directly onto the floor....then lock out plate on top.

Could always ring Dan Simpson at VS
split999
SSVC Member

by monkey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:51 pm
Just found the installation sheet, which is as you describe.

Still not clear how I lock the bottom nut though to stop the stick from twisting loose.
monkey

by split999 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:46 pm
I have one of the original VS shifters which I think are slightly different to the latest design. However on mine to secure the stick, wind down the nut to the bottom on the thread (nearest to the floor) then wind on your stick. Get your stick set at the most comfortable position for you, and then wind back up the nut so that it jambs tight against the end of the stick, thus locking it into place. Before you do any of that though, apply some loctite to all threads. They have a habit of becoming loose if you don't. Remember, there's always a little slop feel in the VS shifters. This is due I believe to the lift to reverse mechanism incorporated into the design.

Hope this helps.
split999
SSVC Member

by monkey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:48 am
split999 wrote:I have one of the original VS shifters which I think are slightly different to the latest design. However on mine to secure the stick, wind down the nut to the bottom on the thread (nearest to the floor) then wind on your stick. Get your stick set at the most comfortable position for you, and then wind back up the nut so that it jambs tight against the end of the stick, thus locking it into place. Before you do any of that though, apply some loctite to all threads. They have a habit of becoming loose if you don't. Remember, there's always a little slop feel in the VS shifters. This is due I believe to the lift to reverse mechanism incorporated into the design.

Hope this helps.

Got it!

Done.

Doesn't seem the best way to lock the shaft in position. I can see why it could come loose.

Thanks

Matt
monkey

by split999 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:14 pm
Exactly Matt, that's why plenty of Loctite is advisable. Mine has stayed firm since I used Loctite, but before that it was coming loose regularly.

Glad you got it sorted.
split999
SSVC Member