The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Mirror glass

Mirror glass

by Rick T » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:58 pm
Anyone tried changing the glass in a original round wing mirror, is it possible without knackering the case and how do you do it?

Cheers

Rick
Rick T

Re: Mirror glass

by richandsue » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:42 pm
not done a round one, did a centre oval one. gently prized the edge up. did not have to go all the way round ,as you can slide the glass out one end. used a thin 2mm thick kitchen mirror, glass cutter to rough size. then finish off the final shape with a belt sander, a bit at a time. the glass will get too hot and splinter if you go to quick. once it is the correct shape slide back in and gently rub the lip back over with a flat blade screwdriver, a bit at a time, as it is aluminium you can smooth it round nicely. :cheers:
richandsue
SSVC Member

by Who.Me? » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:28 am
I've done it. Think it was 2mm glass that I used. The local glass shop cut it for me.

The original gasket in the mirror wouldn't fit afterward, but I just folded it up and stuck it in the void behind the mirror.

You won't get a perfect result, but it's good enough. I warmed the mirror with a chef's blow torch (it's the only one we had) and wrapped the end of a screwdriver in masking tape and ran it round and round and round the lip to raise it a little, then used a plastic chop stick to raise it the rest of the way until I could get the new glass in. Kept using the blow torch to warm the metal and keep it supple.

Did the reverse to press the lip back down to fit it.

I pushed a few dents out at the same time, with a piece of wood wraped in masking tape. Just heated the mirror bucket, laid it on a folded tea towel, and rubbed the dents in toward their middle. Worked OK.

I'll try to post some pics of the results tonight.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by Rick T » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:21 am
Cheers guys

I'll have a bash at it later tonight

Rick
Rick T

by Who.Me? » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:46 pm
This is how mine ended up...

Thought I had some pictures of the process, but I can't find them.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member