The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Steering rack conversion

Steering rack conversion

by Jimbob » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:50 pm
Hello, anybody carried out a Bedford rascal steering rack conversion or can recommend a thread on here to take a look at? It's on the list & I'm just looking at this against the Creative set of bits.

Cheers
James
Jimbob
SSVC Member

Re: Steering rack conversion

by Vwstu » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:30 am
You need to contact vw Jim who is on here, he offers this service and parts I believe, check out his website from his profile page, some great stuff on there.
Vwstu

by Jimbob » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:38 pm
Cheers stu, yep he seems to be a bit of a helpful resource looking at a lot of these pages. I did in fact take a look following some help on my last post. Looking again I only just saw his how too on the rhd conversion!

Interesting though to hear people's thoughts/comparison but if I go rascal it will more than likely be from this Jim dude, I'll drop him a message to see what parts are needed & if its possible on lhd.

I might even get to see a few & have a word at Brighton (..where I will be on foot & leaving my broken van at home grrr!)
Jimbob
SSVC Member

by sjohn821@aol.com » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:48 pm
Hi,
Could you let me know how you get on, Im interested in the RHD conversions, and would appreciate your advice once you find out.
John
sjohn821@aol.com

by maddison » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:19 pm
great conversion for RHD…i have done it on my bus and can drive 1 finger…..but LHD is a no - no….it could be done, but no where near as neatly (or easily) as the RHD setup i'm afraid :-(
maddison
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:10 pm
maddison wrote:great conversion for RHD…i have done it on my bus and can drive 1 finger…..but LHD is a no - no….it could be done, but no where near as neatly (or easily) as the RHD setup i'm afraid :-(
It can Steve, I sussed it out a couple of years ago, but the parts are expensive for lhd so didn't take it further as not worth competing against the CE rack system.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Jimbob » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm
I see, cheers Jim, Maddison. Looks like CE then. Lucks in for you then John! ..check out Jims website, the parts cost seem to stack up favourably & you can probably get it fitted if you don't fancy doing it.
Jimbob
SSVC Member

by sjohn821@aol.com » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:56 am
Jim Im confused,
By reading the Above, it looks like CE Rack is the best option for my LHD to RHD conversion?
Please correct me if im wrong, and let me know my options?
john
sjohn821@aol.com

by damo99 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:14 am
i bought all the parts for the rascal conversion(from jim) except the most inportant part the slightly bent steering arm (he had none )
i sent him an email to ask when he was going to do another run of them (before i bought any parts).the reply i got was not for a while maybee april (it was november),(didn't say never again)i bought what he had
no problem i wasn't in a hurry .
8 moths latter i find they are off the list and website and nomore are getting done ,
i have 80% of the conversion but can't get the last peice of it . no one in aus will make it (knowing it's a steering part).
by the time i paid for shipping + parts it cost me over $500 australian dollars (waste of money).
buy the CE you at least get all of it .
i was going to buy more parts off jim but never again
damo99

by sjohn821@aol.com » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:29 am
straight answer damo99,
CE still hasn't replied but I will persevere, unless there is someone else in the uk who does the rack?
now onto front disc brakes??????,
sjohn821@aol.com

by malum » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:14 pm
CE are not good at answering emails.
You'd be much better phoning them
When I ordered mine it was a 6 week lead time.
malum
SSVC Member