The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Fitting the fuel tank...

Fitting the fuel tank...

by Haycoxs » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:55 pm
Someone along time ago posted a quick and easy method on how to manoeuvre the fuel tank in with the least hassle/damage, does anybody know who that was? Or can anybody post a link to that thread
Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haycoxs

Re: Fitting the fuel tank...

by JonnyCJ » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:49 pm
My only tip of worth is to cover the end of the filler tube with a rag and some gaffer tape otherwise it will scratch your paintwork !
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by BlackSmoke » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:28 pm
Good advice to cover end with rag or foam rubber just in case.

I just did a tank replacement (should have taken photos at the time, but in the heat of the moment didn't think!)

Fuel exit pipe & nut should be fitted to tank after tank is in position but not strapped down. Seemingly impossible to put tank in position if the exit pipe is attached and you can easily lift the tank enough to attach the exit pipe and tighten the nut.

You need to get the filler neck on the correct side of the overspill pipe (on the side nearest hole) and twist the tank so the tank top is towards the tailgate as much as you can. Filler neck forwards to the hole and the other end angled towards the rear in order to feed the neck through the hole. Definately need to get the filler side of the tank as close to the hole side of vehicle body as possible - I had split charge relay on that side and it was impossible without removing the relay - that 1" made all the difference.

I also found it helpful to have a friend outside with a short stick/part broom handle to guide and push the neck down to get it through the hole.

The sealing rubber was easy enough to fit from the outside after tank was in but don't clamp the tank down until you are happy with the positioning of the sealing rubber regarding space between top and bottom of the neck.
BlackSmoke
SSVC Member

by Rich P » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:23 am
Hi

Hope you dont mind me jumping in here but new and not sure how to work these forums so hope it's ok to ask....I have a '58 pick up that has a non original fuel take with a leak which I am looking to replace. I have found plenty online but there seems to be a gap of about one metre from where the filler neck ends and I can't find anything anywhere that says how you bridge that gap and my mechanic seems baffled as well...Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rich
Rich P

by Who.Me? » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:56 am
Rich P wrote:Hi

Hope you dont mind me jumping in here but new and not sure how to work these forums so hope it's ok to ask....I have a '58 pick up that has a non original fuel take with a leak which I am looking to replace. I have found plenty online but there seems to be a gap of about one metre from where the filler neck ends and I can't find anything anywhere that says how you bridge that gap and my mechanic seems baffled as well...Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rich
When you say you need to replace the tank, do you mean you haven't bought a new one yet? If so, buy the Wolfsburg West tank (Autocraft stock it). It fits perfectly...

What you've said above about the filler neck being short suggests that the tank that you have is totally wrong and someone rigged up a neck extension to make it reach the filler hole (I think people who fit bay-window bus tanks have that problem).
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by Rich P » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:37 pm
Thanks for reply and the picture...ahhh are you Errol the '56 single cab man? Was looking at your original post thats how I ended up here? I get it now. Behind the tank is there a ridge that I assume covers the axel etc and the tank sits in front of this. If you look at the picture of mine the previous owner has sat it back so the filler neck doesn't line up but if its in the correct position it will i guess?
Rich P

by Who.Me? » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:39 pm
Rich P wrote:ahhh are you Errol the '56 single cab man?
First time I've been described like that, but yeah, I guess I am :lol:

So the previous owner mounted the tank up between the wheel wells?

OK, looking at our picture, aside from the load bed and its supporting rail, you have some parts missing. The tank should sit on what would have been the cargo floor, if the truck had been built as a bus (if that makes sense?).

The outlet from the tank should sit over the oblong cutout that is just to the right of the gren plastic bottle in your picture. A foam piece insulates the tank from the floor at that point to stop it rubbing and stop crap coming up through the hole.

It's not clear in your picture, but looks like you're missing the mounting plates that should be welded to the cargo floor ( https://klassicfab.com/klassicfab1/en/2 ... ouble-cab- and the hold-down straps (the inch wide straps that wrap over the top of the tank in my picture).

You also need the components of the divider (top hat section at the top, lower separation strip across the cargo floor, divider up the middle and the two removable access panels). Not sure how many of those parts are available though.

Are you rebuilding your truck to standard spec or fabricating some sort of custom load bed?

If you're rebuilding it to stock and you've not already found the Obsolete Air Cooled Document Project - OACDP - you'll find it invaluable for finding which parts you need... http://www.oacdp.org/5867part.html.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by Who.Me? » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:43 pm
These pictures might help you spot the bits that you're missing and understand how they fit...

Who.Me?
SSVC Member

by Rich P » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:23 pm
This is amazing - thanks so much!!!! Trying to restore but was a little stuck at this point. Really appreciate your help with this one...Have a great evening

Rich
Rich P