The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Recommendations please

Recommendations please

by BusBug&KG » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:56 am
Hi all
I am looking to change my welder and crompresor,I have at the moment a good set up bought second hand but these are 3 phase,looking for single phase,as I am not too keen in paying up to 15k to have 3 phase installed in our new house in Ireland
Any recommendations would be great,don't want to weld every day,just to keep the bus tidy,might want to do a bit of spraying
Cheers
What are you all using???
Tony C
BusBug&KG
SSVC Member

Re: Recommendations please

by Jrnbru » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:27 am
I've got an r tech 140 welder and for the money it's very good. I've heard good things about Oxfords too.

My compressor is a 100l 3hp sgs one and for every air tool I have has been great.

Both tools set me back around 640 which I think is cheap for two decent pieces of kit.
Jrnbru

by BusBug&KG » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:42 pm
Jrnbru wrote:I've got an r tech 140 welder and for the money it's very good. I've heard good things about Oxfords too.

My compressor is a 100l 3hp sgs one and for every air tool I have has been great.

Both tools set me back around 640 which I think is cheap for two decent pieces of kit.

Thanks for that will check those out,
Is your welder ok for very light work as well as heavy?
Tony C
BusBug&KG
SSVC Member

by Biglozzer » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:28 pm
Tony
Im really pleased with my Oxford 210. Got full range low and high and very reliable.

I bought a Clarke 150l industrial compressor recently and that's really good too. Runs all the power tools I've got and good price. Single phase version.
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by split999 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:08 pm
Tony, check out Bondo's for sale post in Non bus things for sale. Both look great for the money!

Good luck.
split999
SSVC Member

by AdrianReeve » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:10 pm
I have the 216s one in the link below. It welds from 15 amps, and I've done 0.5mm steel with no problems. It'll also weld an RSJ with a good fillet and multiple passes!

I've had several welders over the years at home (used to be a coded welder, so got to play with some nice kit at work!), and I can't see me buying another one now. It's the most expensive home set I've bought, but for a reason - superb bit of kit. It's made by the same people that make Oxford welders, and is in fact a rebadged version of their sets.

https://www.weldequip.com/portamig-mig-welders.htm
AdrianReeve

by maddison » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:29 pm
watch ebay…I'm sure ireland must be great for 2nd hand tools

i bought an old 300ltr compressor local to me for £150 its massive, plods on and runs any and everything - i figured if anything ever went wrong with it, i can just repair / replace whatever breaks…..it will no doubt out live me

best tool i have ever bought ….makes hobby compressors seem pathetic
maddison
SSVC Member

by ArAKern » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 am
What about just re-motoring the compressor with a single phase unit.
As you know the history may be a better than a unknown ebay item.

Rgds
ArA
ArAKern

by BusBug&KG » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:41 pm
ArAKern wrote:What about just re-motoring the compressor with a single phase unit.
As you know the history may be a better than a unknown ebay item.

Rgds
ArA

Now that's a good point,never thought of that,worth looking into I feel.
Thanks Tony C
BusBug&KG
SSVC Member