The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

VW Deluxe Help Please - Urgent

VW Deluxe Help Please - Urgent

by Nomad » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:15 pm
Hello SSVC

Any help on a vehicle is very much appreciated.

I found a LHD Bus that is in a very bad way in the UK, but am trying to find out approx model and year.

It has been sitting for decades and was red bottom and white top. It's a Deluxe with Jail Bars inside.

The only information that I have worked out is it's high hinge, and 4 windows on the side panel.

I therefore am guessing it's a 15 window pre 1960 due to the hinges on cargo doors and also that the roof has collapsed so it probably had corner windows, and also because it's LHD and been sitting for so many decades?

I'm going for another look soon and any help in what to look for is appreciated if it might be a barndoor.

I can not get access to the front or back, but a wheel is visible, what size should I look for?

Unfortunately time is an issue as the thing will be crushed very soon if not rescued.

It has solid bulkhead and has ali handle and jail bars, cross stitched black trim for the bulkhead divider from back to front, and grey material for long jail bar trim.

Thanks, any help is great. Nomad
Nomad

Re: VW Deluxe Help Please - Urgent

by Dougie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:03 pm
I'm not sure I really understand the question, but regardless of the year/model it will be worth saving from the crusher for glass, latches, handles...you name it. Better still if the whole thing can be rescued and returned to the road.
Dougie
SSVC Member

by nige1171 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:16 pm
I take it it's blocked in and access to the front, back and interior is not possible?

Assuming you can't get access to the chassis number (inside engine bay) or the tag behind the front seat, the wheels might give you a clue as to its age.
They are VW logo stamped as well as date stamped (on the outside face by the wheel bolts - under the hubcap if there is one). If it's not been touched for decades there's a chance they haven't been repainted and a date might be visible. That will give you a guide at least?

Barndoor wheels are 16" and after that 15" until 64-ish.

If you can see inside and there are coat hooks and a clock on the dash below the passenger side grab handle then its a deluxe, and with it being high hinge a 15w or 23w samba.

Worse case - it could be a later Brazilian or South African Fleetline(?) as I believe these too came with high hinge doors, although happy to stand corrected.

Post a pic and people can spot all sorts of things which will identify the year.

Good luck,

Nige
nige1171
SSVC Member

by Nomad » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:36 pm
I've got some side glass, ali handles, some bits of seats, cargo doors and handle, it is a wreck though and pretty much unrecognisable, its collapsed but you can see front chasis.

If easish (cut some trees, and winch up bits or lift off - it is rusty)and make into a shed, bus b q, if not early?

How can I get pics up by phone? Do I need to photo bucket etc?
Nomad

by Nomad » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:40 pm
Just uploading to facebook ssvc
Nomad

by EeVeeWee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:03 pm
Indeed it is not in a very good shape! 8O

EeVeeWee

by Nomad » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:44 pm
It worked, I've a few more pictures. If I send up again, can you drag onto here?

Worst is, it can be a shed, or bus b q, and trim can be shed door handles and coat hooks. I love my rusty stuff, but don't want to ruin it if anything special.

Any idea if early or late 50's?
Nomad

by maddison » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:35 am
ha - I don't think your gonna be ruining anything mate….do what you want with it, but yep, cool to use whatever you can from it
maddison
SSVC Member

by EeVeeWee » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:30 am
Here are the other pics:

EeVeeWee

by nige1171 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 am
Good grief! 8O

it would seem a bit more than the roof has collapsed :lol:

Nige
nige1171
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:30 pm
Well it's a high hinge cargo door - so it's pre 60/61.....
That's about all I can tell - LOL
ted698
SSVC Member

by Nomad » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:44 pm
It's not that bad...wooden frame and it'll look great again,it's got lots of life in it yet.

So if I can't find the engine cover, look at the wheels.

16" = Barndoor?
15" = 55 to 60?

It's amazing how many windows and ali trim are in great condition.

Thanks for the help so far.
Nomad

by ted698 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Also not a barn door - you can tell by the cargo door pressings inside. Barndoors were much simpler.
See pic below, Barndoors pressings were simple square edge box, not the rounded pressings like you have.

ted698
SSVC Member

by type21f » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:33 pm
Offer to clear the space..
Take what is save able and the rest to the scrap man..
Something will be wanted..
LOL

Brambles for firelighters..
type21f
SSVC Member