The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Relocating the coil

Relocating the coil

by Richie-R » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:53 pm
Having an ongoing issue with heat and engine running problems, has anyone moved the coil outside the engine bay say onto the chassis rails in a waterproof box, or would the length of wireing be a problem?
Richie-R
SSVC Member

Re: Relocating the coil

by 58splitty » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:24 pm
Ive relocated it on my bug to outside the engine bay. You need to make make a longer cable by crimping one end of a normal ht lead.

It was moved only for asthetic reasons, not heat
58splitty

by maddison » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:31 am
?? is the coil creating the heat or being affected by the engine heat…..moving the coil out the engine bay seems extreme

if things are getting that hot, you have a underlying problem and moving the coil isn't gonna solve it ?
maddison
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:40 pm
Hi Richie - I agree with maddison - whats actually your base problem? - its best to attack the source, not mask the problem.

We'll try & help you out.

Cheers TED
ted698
SSVC Member

by Richie-R » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:07 pm
Not getting over hot particularly, I've had an on going problem where the van cuts out on tickover/ low revs intermittently and won't restart until it's cooled down, changed everything in the ignition system, cleaned the carbs, checked the filter, drilled a breather hole in fuel cap, checked timing, valve clearance,.Were left with changing the fuel tank (although note it doesn't cut out at high revs or when it's cold), or going to an electric fuel pump.
Richie-R
SSVC Member

by type21f » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:12 pm
Have you checked the insulation of the distributor... points plate..
That was the cause on mine. .
Only came to light when I swapped the distributor. ..
type21f
SSVC Member

by 58splitty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:44 pm
Id pump all your fuel into a new clean white bucket and see the state of your fuel and check the inside of your tank.
58splitty

by 58splitty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:45 pm
Richie-R wrote:Not getting over hot particularly, I've had an on going problem where the van cuts out on tickover/ low revs intermittently and won't restart until it's cooled down, changed everything in the ignition system, cleaned the carbs, checked the filter, drilled a breather hole in fuel cap, checked timing, valve clearance,.Were left with changing the fuel tank (although note it doesn't cut out at high revs or when it's cold), or going to an electric fuel pump.

If it is your tank you can clean it internally fairly easily and cheaply, i just did mine for £26
58splitty

by Richie-R » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:22 am
I'd be interested in trying that 58 splittie any info appreciated. Will look at the dizzy Type 21f Thanks.
Richie-R
SSVC Member

by 13bussing » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:23 am
Did you change the coil too? Mine had the same problem and it turned out to be the coil mounted to upright.
13bussing

by Dougie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:30 am
I had a similar problem on a Beetle , turned out to be the bakelite fuel pump pedestal tightening on the fuel pump rod. A good clean with fine emery paper was all it took in the end
Dougie
SSVC Member

by Jon Petts » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:25 am
I had similar problem with coil overheating causing stalling / not starting. It would start very well from cold, but have problems once running for any time. After a run the coil would be very hot.
Turned out to be the Petronix electronic "points". Replaced with standard points and had no more prolems. Something to do with resistance through distributor which was different with points( as type21f said ).
Jon Petts
SSVC Member

by Richie-R » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:05 pm
Yes changed the coil, I've slimmed down the fuel pump stand, good call, actually found mine broken Dougie. Jon thanks, I think your on the money there, will swop back to points this weekend and try. Thanks everyone I'll let you know how I get on.
Richie-R
SSVC Member

by Richie-R » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:39 am
Well I removed the crappy empi fuel regulator out of the system, removed the electronic ignition and refitted points, set the valves, and checked the fuel filter (clean with clear petrol in it). Van started well and ran stronger, until it died again after about half an hour, this time not on tickover and with some backfiring, wouldn't start for a long time basically until it was compleatly cold, could smell fuel getting through to it when it wouldn't start, tried two coils while it was stranded, wouldn't start.Ran great after it restarted and would stop and restart normally. Lost with it all now.
Richie-R
SSVC Member

by 58splitty » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:26 am
When it dies, check you still have a good spark. Do you have another carb spare? To swap and test with? Check your fuel condition
58splitty