The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Re furbishing front spindles and keeping them stock

Re furbishing front spindles and keeping them stock

by Ukrobotman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:38 pm
Is it difficult to re furb your own front spindles ?
Or does someone do It that doesn't involve converting them to dropped spindles?
Steve
Ukrobotman
SSVC Member

Re: Re furbishing front spindles and keeping them stock

by ted698 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:04 am
Just had my stock spindles refurbed by vwgillybilly on here ( look in the parts for sale thread) he does both stock and flipped for an excellent price and service. Less than a week turnaround, just got to refit them now! That's this weekends job....
ted698
SSVC Member

by Ukrobotman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:08 am
Thanks Ted, Ill get in contact with Gill.
Ukrobotman
SSVC Member

by 8 8US » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:21 am
ted698 wrote:Just had my stock spindles refurbed by vwgillybilly on here ( look in the parts for sale thread) he does both stock and flipped for an excellent price and service. Less than a week turnaround, just got to refit them now! That's this weekends job....

Should of had them flipped, you know it makes sense.
8 8US
SSVC Member

by type21f » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:55 am
Or keep it stock..
Lots of keep it low are reverting to keep it stock..
You decide..
LOL
type21f
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:46 pm
8 8US wrote:Should of had them flipped, you know it makes sense.

LOL, knew you'd d say that..... As I've told you before Rich, high is the new low :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Hahahaha

Have to say after refitting it all this weekend, the ride is much better now with new link pins & OG bearings (now with grease!, they were in a shocking state) and new kingpins, it drives lovely. Thanks vwgillybilly.

Won't have to pump the kingpins chock full of grease the night before the MOT now.... Lol

And I've got rid of my embarrassingly squealy brakes after the (new last summer) GSF front shoes were ditched with some nice ones from Nigel in club spares, no more squealing ! The GSF ones were just way too hard, you could see the metal in them!
AND I finally found a front hub oil seal that fits!, which caused the need for new shoes in the first place. The std front hub seal never fitted in the drum, it was loose! Found out when buying some bits for the spindle refit that VWHeritage sell a special oil seal that allows split spindles with bay drums, which is what I must have , the oil seal is 1mm bigger OD - who knew!
Always thought the drums were like brand new! A PO must have bought some new ones not too long before I had it.

Well you live and learn!
ted698
SSVC Member

by type21f » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:50 pm
ted698 wrote:
8 8US wrote:Should of had them flipped, you know it makes sense.

LOL, knew you'd d say that..... As I've told you before Rich, high is the new low :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Hahahaha

Blah blah blah..
Sorry

Well you live and learn!

Yes Rich.

Keep it stock rules..

Hear Hear..

Do what ever BUT...KISS...
G
type21f
SSVC Member