The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

CB Performance oil breather

CB Performance oil breather

by ziggy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:56 pm
Look into getting a CB Performace oil breather tower and I see it has various outlet ports my question is are all the outlets open meaning you have to blank off the ones not required ?
ziggy
SSVC Member

Re: CB Performance oil breather

by flatbeat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:36 pm
Yes, use the ones you want and blank off the others. The kit usually includes a couple of blanking plugs.
Empi do a version that's (surprisingly) better than the CB one which you sometimes have trouble getting the front plate to seal. The Empi one has more securing screws and a better seal but otherwise identical.
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by tufty65 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:11 am
they're rubbish by this instead :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114453&p=864416#p864416
tufty65

by OP » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:38 pm
Bottom two to the rocker covers, top two to the air filters, back one to air so felt open. This is how Stateside told me to do mine and works a treat.
OP
SSVC Member

by ziggy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:34 pm
Thanks guys
ziggy
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 pm
OP wrote:Bottom two to the rocker covers, top two to the air filters, back one to air so felt open. This is how Stateside told me to do mine and works a treat.

Neale,
Doesn't leaving them to vent in the engine bay mean you keep getting a very fine film of oil over everything ?
I had something similar with a small K&N style filter on it and it was like someone was spraying a mist of oil in the engine bay all the time. I've since gone to the Empi one with it connected to the rocker covers and the filler neck and it's been fine.

Note to anyone fitting a breather box..... Fit the pipes to the front of the rockers, as in nearest the front of the bus, so the oil doesn't flow backwards into the pipes as you pull away. Oh, and make sure it's up the right way or all the oil drips out of the bottom! On the Empi one, logo facing upwards :)

Cheers, Lee
e m p i

by flatbeat » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 pm
The Empi Tower breather has a square block of foam and baffle plate inside the top of the tower so filters out the oil and doesn't clog up the little breather filter. That's one of the features that makes it better than the CB tower.

I use a Berg :lol:
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:05 pm
I'd never leave any ports open.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by OP » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:13 am
e m p i wrote:
OP wrote:Bottom two to the rocker covers, top two to the air filters, back one to air so felt open. This is how Stateside told me to do mine and works a treat.

Neale,
Doesn't leaving them to vent in the engine bay mean you keep getting a very fine film of oil over everything ?
I had something similar with a small K&N style filter on it and it was like someone was spraying a mist of oil in the engine bay all the time. I've since gone to the Empi one with it connected to the rocker covers and the filler neck and it's been fine.

Note to anyone fitting a breather box..... Fit the pipes to the front of the rockers, as in nearest the front of the bus, so the oil doesn't flow backwards into the pipes as you pull away. Oh, and make sure it's up the right way or all the oil drips out of the bottom! On the Empi one, logo facing upwards :)

Cheers, Lee

I don't get any oil or film in the engine bay at all mate, been like it a while. My rockers cover also vent at the rear on the tops, again no issues.
OP
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:45 am
Also, bear in mind, if built well, lots of engines don't need rocker cover vents at all. Which makes one less joint to leak and easier to set valve clearances too as you don't have that hose connection.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by OP » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:48 am
I must agree the hose connections on the rocker covers are a pain when doing valves. I did think about losing them when I rebuilt the engine last year but they're original VW ones and fit great so kept them.
OP
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:19 pm
Yeah I nearly bought a set with the connectors welded/brazed to the rocket cover.
The only really sh!t thing about the Empi one is the hose that it comes with is diabolical. I binned it and bought my own.
I must admit, I do wonder if I actually need the breather box but now it's all fitted I figured I may as well keep it.

Cheers, Lee.
e m p i

by megaaircooledvw » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:57 am
vwJim wrote:Also, bear in mind, if built well, lots of engines don't need rocker cover vents at all. Which makes one less joint to leak and easier to set valve clearances too as you don't have that hose connection.

If you up performance you need to give better breathing.
megaaircooledvw

by vwJim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:00 am
megaaircooledvw wrote:
vwJim wrote:Also, bear in mind, if built well, lots of engines don't need rocker cover vents at all. Which makes one less joint to leak and easier to set valve clearances too as you don't have that hose connection.

If you up performance you need to give better breathing.

That's why I said if built properly. Modify the internals of the case etc.

JMR doesn't put rocker breathers on street engines below 2110cc. Jen has had one for years, and drives with a heavy right foot. No breathing issues at all.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member