The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Gear shift not clean,

Gear shift not clean,

by RPATTZ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:40 pm
Hi guys, we'll finally got the bus back on the road after a 2year overhaul of running gear and upgrades. Thanks for all the forum help over the months.

After taking the bus for its MOT yesterday which was its first drive in over 2years and considering the work that's been carried out I expected a few teething problems.

The problem which I'm having at the moment is selecting gears. I can get all 4 including reverse but not a clean selection. I've watched vides on utube and links on how to adjust via this forum but no joy. I have installed one of them diamond shape housings which sits on top of the plate which I think is called a quick shift devise??

Next time I get back out the garage I'll rebuild the shifter to stock and try again, any ideas though.
RPATTZ

Re: Gear shift not clean,

by Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:22 pm
Front and rear gear shift rod bushes ok?
These plastic bits needed replacing on mine before a really smooth shift was possible.
-

by bmxburner » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:22 pm
Front and rear gear shift rod bushes ok?
These plastic bits needed replacing on mine before a really smooth shift was possible.
bmxburner

by RPATTZ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:22 pm
Front bush does look a bit worn. Think I got a spare and will change and I'll check the rear at the same time.
RPATTZ

by RPATTZ » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:56 pm
Had another look on the gear linkage today to see if I could get a better selection. I manage to change the front plastic bush but when trying to change the rear bush it broke in my hand so I had to leave the rear. Shifter rebuilt to stock as well.

Reconnected back up and still had a bad selection. When driving I can change up but not back down through the gears ???? But idling I can select up and down fine.

Some background information being I've got a new highway flyer gearbox installed with the nose cone and hockey stick off my original bus gearbox.
RPATTZ

by tufty65 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:55 am
When you say not a clean selection do you mean the gears are grinding or you can't get the actual gears to select properly? If the gears are grinding it will be a clutch adjustment issue.
tufty65

by RPATTZ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:29 am
A bit of both really. But I would say they seem to be grinding more especially when coming back into second from third
RPATTZ

by flatbeat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:46 am
You have filled the box up with oil haven't you cos new box's come empty quite often.....my last one did.
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by type21f » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:26 am
Mine was empty.
type21f
SSVC Member

by RPATTZ » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:34 pm
Yeah all filled with good fresh oil. I'm just thinking it's down to that gear linkage and shaft system. I'll order two new rear bushes in the week and get the van propped up and have somebody shifting the gears while I'm under neath looking to see if there's anything obviously wrong.
RPATTZ

by RPATTZ » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:59 pm
Image how

How do these bushes fit in at the rear of the gear shaft. 2 required so I'm guessing one at each end and splined opened section inserted first ??????
RPATTZ

by JonnyCJ » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:52 pm
Don't really think it makes too much difference which way they go in to be honest. I queried this myself when fitting mine and in the end ended up putting 3 in with one in the middle.

Probably overkill, but for the sake of drilling a small hole...
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by RPATTZ » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:30 pm
Finally got me a set of these bushes and noticing on inspection they got a small circular plastic lug in the centre. Does this locate into a hole on the shaft. Ain't got to the bus to look yet so thought I'd give a quick heads up before I do.
RPATTZ

by flatbeat » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:20 pm
Yes :D
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by BJ1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:00 am
RPATTZ wrote:Finally got me a set of these bushes and noticing on inspection they got a small circular plastic lug in the centre. Does this locate into a hole on the shaft. Ain't got to the bus to look yet so thought I'd give a quick heads up before I do.

I hope you realise that to fit these you will need to drop the engine and take out the transmission ;) It's unlikely that these bushes are causing your problem, which could just be that the box is new and needs to be 'run in'. The synchro hubs can be 'sticky' causing the change-down problem you are having. Are you sure that the clutch is working properly? Sometimes the release bearing slips off the fork on one side if the clips are weak. Also worth rechecking the rear coupling to ensure the screws are tight and well seated in the dimples on both shafts.
BJ1
SSVC Member