The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Nearside rear brake getting hot

Nearside rear brake getting hot

by Warebus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:00 pm
Ok after all the aggro i had getting the drum back on, everything is all reassembled . All seemed fine, but went for a 10 mile run, and on return the nearside rear wheel is decidedly warmer than the offside. I have tried the adjusters and got them back as far as they will go. Don't think its the handbrake , had that slackened right off, and have checked it for applying and releasing.
Given that I had a real job getting the shoes to fit, is it likely to be them just bedding in? How hot is too hot? I can hold my hand on the wheel and keep it on . The fronts though are cold by comparison, but I haven't done anything to those. Nearside seems harder to turn by hand than the offside, but I don't seem to have any adjustment left!
Your thoughts please
Warebus
SSVC Member

Re: Nearside rear brake getting hot

by Stevep » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:24 pm
You can smell brakes when proper hot I don't think yours are that bad, I had same issue but found the more I used the bus the problem went away!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevep
SSVC Member

by Warebus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:38 pm
That's sort of what I'm hoping, cos I don't have any other ideas, Thought I would try to do a few short runs over the weekend to see if it improves,
Warebus
SSVC Member

by BJ1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:27 pm
Check the flexis - this often happens when a flexi has collapsed inside and stops the fluid returning when you take your foot off the pedal.
BJ1
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:51 pm
If the brakes run too hot, you can lose a wheel of you're not careful.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by Warebus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 pm
I replaced the flexi hoses, so it's not that. I was going to do do a few trips say a couple of miles and check it , let it cool then go again later
Warebus
SSVC Member