The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Corrosion in front roof pillars

Corrosion in front roof pillars

by robs_uk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:11 pm
Hi, my split screen is a very long term project, however my biggest worry (as I can replace most parts) is corrosion in the front roof pillars. Has anyone replaced these and how did you do it? I'm confident I can make most parts but I know pillars can be complex. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robs_uk

Re: Corrosion in front roof pillars

by richandsue » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:35 pm
not replaced pillars myself, but personally if it is rotten on inside and out, i would cut either one face and replace with new, then work back to the other face, as you may not be able to replace it as one piece. plus it keeps the shape and length in place. :cheers:
richandsue
SSVC Member

by type21f » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:36 pm
I had to have the NS one replaced on Sherry. See my thread on how bad it was...
I replaced the whole roof and searched for a cut..of A post...
I passed up buying a pair that Graham Clarke had at fbi and did not buy them....big mistake..
I bought a couple of sections of A pillar and have used cuts from these to patch areas of my OS A post and seal edges.
I bought a complete assembly from klassicfab. ..expensive but good direct from Colombia via an argument with Gerson himself.
I know Autocraft sell sections of the inner A panel..
I am still missing the outer skin around the windscreen but will have to have this bit fabricated
type21f
SSVC Member

by Pluppy34 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:27 am
Hi there,
I am just after replacing the A pillars on both sides. It can be difficult to get right even with the hole front to the bus off. I guess it all depends on how much you have your bus stripped down. I used the KlassicFab pillars which were good. I had the roof braced before starting but you need to make sure you have loads of measurements before starting. If you need some help/advice let me know. p.s I am a novice and have learned the hard way!
Pluppy34

by type21f » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:33 am
One piece of advice is to make a Template of the front windscreen aperture from metal to metal - so that it fits against the outer pillar, front clip and roof closure.
Then when setting the doors on the A pillars to fill the aperture you can position the front clip or the A post or the roof..
Matt took roof off and set that to middle pillar first, then took the A post off and replaced that...
Then took the front clip and have trial fitted that all using the template to check and check and check..
type21f
SSVC Member

by Pluppy34 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:25 pm
Best is to make a jig...
Pluppy34